AOL straw poll anyone?

Has anybody else been participating in or watching the AOL straw poll? Its showing very different results than every other poll out there. Currently on this weeks straw poll McCain is leading something like 535 electoral votes (66% popular) to 3 electoral votes (30% popular) for Obama. AOL requires that you have an account (which are free now) and that you sign in and say which state you are voting from. So you would need multiple accounts to vote multiple times. Anybody have any guesses as to why you think this poll is so completely different from the rest of them? (Oh and as of right now over 100,000 people have participated).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, it's only people with an AOL account for one. That's not a random sample like most polls. Many people do have multiple accounts - they are free afterall - which lets people vote more than once. Many AOL customers are in the older age ranges since AOL made it easier for new (scared) computer users to get online... again, not a random sample.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I don't know why but I did notice the same thing. Kaycee is right, it's not a random sampling.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Because older people are more likely to use AOL. My parents both do but I don't know a single person under about 40 who uses AOL (in real life, not Joe Anybody on the internet who says they do after I post this).
    Anonymous

• Wish it were a true idea of where things are but unfortunately with only a little over 100,000 people that have voted on it you still have millions of votes out. Thats why I really am not putting much thought into any of these polls. I for one haven't been polled once so where they come up with their numbers I don't know. I did vote anyway just for the heck of it.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I don't know about the older people thing, but I do know that on your own personal PC in the privacy of your own home you aren't scared of being labeled and are free to show the way you will really vote in the privacy of the voting booth.
    Anonymous