Volunteering?

Being that I am a mom of an airman who is on deployment I would like to volunteer my time, but I don not live near a base of any branch. Does anyone have any information on how I can help otherwise?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 10:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You could become a Chemo Angel. You are basically matched up with someone undergoing chemo and you send them cards, small gifts, letters, etc. I've been doing this since 2004. I've been assigned chemo patients as young as 4 and as old as 80.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• After coupons expire in the states, they can still be used on military bases by families stationed overseas. You can work with that program from anywhere.  There's an Online Coupon Program where you can sign up to adopt a base and have your extras sent there regularly: http://www.ocpnet.org/

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You can volunteer for the USO.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• USO, Red Cross, Homeless Vet shelters.... Good Luck! Bless You!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You could volunteer in the local community where you live...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You could organize a donation drive for the troops. You could do this by partnering with a local company and have a drop off location where people can donate things to send to the troops for Christmas.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• First of all, I want to thank you for what you give up to help our country, and for offering to volunteer your time (many military moms aren't able to). If there is a VFW in your area, contact them. They usually have different things going on that you might help with, or might be able to point you in the right direction. Check the newspaper, with Christmas coming soon, there are usually lots of things going on to help servicemen.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You could also get involved with any number of other community based charities--just Google "charitable organizations in (your) city/county.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You can also become a Soldier's Angel. You would be paired with a deployed soldier (or sailor or airman...) and would write and send care packages to him or her during his or her deployment.

http://www.soldiersangels.org/

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Check with Blue Star Moms. There may be a chapter near you.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 8:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2010