do you make homemade pot pie square noodles?

We all have mild colds and I would like to make chicken pot pie soup. The only difference I've noticed is the addition of a little fat (although it's shortening, which I don't keep) and a leavening agent. I've seen both baking powder and soda used)

I figured I could use a spot of butter in place of the shortening... should I give it a shot, or should I just make regular egg noodles? The addition of the leavening is kind of freaking me out. How long would you simmer the noodles in the broth once they are done?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• butter can be replaced for shortening & vice verse. The only difference is flavor & i personally think butter tastes better. Is the leavening & shortening for the topping? You can always use biscuits, that's what i use for mine.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No, it's for those flat, square noodles like you get in deli chicken pot pie soup... maybe that's a local thing, I don't know...
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You can always use equal amounts of butter in place of shortening. As far as leavening substitute, I'm not sure what your recipe is all about but you can use 1/4 t of baking soda and a 1/4 c of yogurt as a substitute for baking powder.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It sounds like they are little dumplings? At least that's what I'm picturing from what you've described. I have made those, in fact I think DH is making them today, too, but it was basically the same recipe as egg noodles, just cut thicker than noodles.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yup, pretty thick noodle/dumplings
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Give it a shot. The difference between using baking powder and baking soda is that with baking soda you have to have an acedic ingredient also, like buttermilk or yogurt. Once the noodles start to float, they're done. Make sure the liquid is just at a simmer, no higher, not a hard rolling boil. Be careful not to keep cooking long after they start to float. Good luck.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2010