Gestational diabetes and possibly being induced?

I called my doctor's office today and asked a nurse if they induce with GD and she said at 39 weeks they usually do. So, she asked if I have an appt. with the DR. anytime soon which I do on Monday, and she told me to bring it up and he will schedule it. I really hope she is right. There are a lot of risks with GD, and I don't want them to get out of hand. Anyway, I'd be 39 weeks in 2 weeks and 2 days. I will find out for sure on Monday what is going on, and now it seems like the time is going to go by SO SLOW! (Also-I have not had an u/s to determine size, and probably won't, they didn't mention it and they aren't too accurate anyway).

Were any of you induced due to GD? How did it go? How was your baby?

Does dilation/effacement matter? (I am closed & thick still!)

Would you have done it differently? Did the time go slow for you as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have Type 1 diabetes( It started as gestational, but I went into ketoacidosis at 29 weeks gest. w/my son, who is now almost 15 ) I was induced at 38 weeks, and the only reason I would have done it any different was because I had such a LONG, drawn -out labor!! I expected that once they gave me the shot, I'd just go into labor, and SHAZAM!! I'd have the baby!! Nope... didn't happen like that! After 36 hours of labor, I finally dialated to I think it was 5-6, and they gave me an epidural(thank God!!) I had a normal (vag) delivery, and they kept my baby girl in NICU for 24 hours under observation. Her birthweight was 9 lbs,6oz. She had no health problems and is now 13 yeqrs old. Come on over to my page and check out her pics! Everything will be just fine if you take good care of yourself!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 5:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I'm curious to hear what they tell you, make sure you let us know, Mama!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I had it with 2 or 3 babies. They never said they were going to induce but they ended up inducing the second one for other reasons and the 3rd was an emergency C cection. They just kept an eye out for the weight of the baby. When a mom has GD they sometimes grow to be bigger and heavier just as if mom had diabetes before getting pregnant.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008