I need Christmas party/family get-together ideas.

Each year everyone on my mom's side of the family gets together and exchanges names. There are usually about 20-25 of us and the past few years we have had a limit of $30. This year we are either not going to do it all or lower the limit.

I am needing ideas on other things to do besides exchange gifts on Christmas evening. We are a fun and active family. We've done a "Dirty Santa" gift exchange in the past.

Also, does anyone have any good menu ideas. I am just totally lost this year. With the economy the way it is, we're just trying to keep it as fun as we can without everyone spending too much.

Give me your ideas please. I need them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Last year, my hubby family had a "chinese" gift exchange w/ the gift not over $10. You pulled a number to begin with, and then go in order. first one gets to look at a,ll the wrapped gifts and choose. #2 gets to look at the opened gift of #1's and decide if he wants that, or a wrapped gift. and so it continues. you could put a limit on how many times the gift gets grabbed. (when someone takes your gift, you get another. It was pretty fun. It was very entertaining, not costly. You didn't have to participate, and could still enjoy the exchanges. Some of the gifts I remember: manicure set, candles, can of cheese, a toilet flushing key ring, and so forth.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 7:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• For food, you could make it pot luck, or just make a pot of something yourself, and ask everyone to bring homemade cookies or pie. Getting yur family together is really important. On my dad's side, it stopped 2 years ago, and then everyone died off and we only see family at funerals. Only dad and his sis are left so it's a shame.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 7:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Omg you all could play a game...everyone...kids, parents, etc. It would be fun! My family likes to get bundled up and go outside and do two hand touch football sometimes....pictures...pass out disposeable cameras...thats fun...music, singing...family Christmas movie.

I would do a pot luck. They are so fun and everyone gets to pitch in there favorite and best recipe. :)
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• ON New Years Day (but this could be any day) We have the Annual HOT Wheels races!!!! Each family member gets a wrapped spankin new HOT Wheels car at Christmas to bring to the races UNOPENED, NO tampering! ON the day of the races starting/pairing numbers are drawn and the races begin!! There is a huge traveling trophy for the winner and we get their name engraved on the plate.  We have a big poster up to enter the names of the winners and losers so there is also a losers winner!!

Giant coloring books get laid out with brand new magic markers for those that feel like coloring (usually me, my daughter 24, and my niece 19). OH ya the TV usually has a game (I think football) on.

The old Spirograph art box, lincolin logs, and quite a few other pastimes toys are out to play with.  

KaliVasquez

Answer by KaliVasquez at 8:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2008