How do I help get my twins of 19 mos. gain weight?

I have a twin boy and girl that were born at 36 weeks gestation. The only major problems that they had were how to learn to breathe and eat at the same time. Even then the boy stayed 6 days and the girl stayed 12 in the nursery. My little boy weighs around 15 lbs. and the girl around 16 lbs, but was told they are starting to fall off the growth curve with weight gain. We have spoken to their pediatrician and found tricks like adding butter and wheat germ to their food for hidden weight boosters. I do these things and give them a supplemental drink called Kid Essentials from the makers of Boost nutritional drinks, but to no avail still have trouble packing on the lbs. They are pretty active twins. Some days it is a challenge to get them to eat anything that they like! Help!!!!!!!!! Is anyone with twins having or have had this difficulty? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!

frazzledmomx3

Asked by frazzledmomx3 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some kids are small. And if they are not eating a lot because they are so busy, then they are going to stay small for a while. My DD was 16 lbs at a year. We tried all the "tricks" from the doctor to no avail. She was just small. She really started to gain weight (and grow in height) between 7 & 8, then again from 9-10, when she gained 25 lbs and grew over 3 inches.

Right now make sure that they stay where they are in their personal curve. DD stayed in the less than 5th percentile until the 3rd grade. Now she is tall for her age. Also make sure that they are eating healthy things like fruits, veggies and lean meats or tofu, not goldfish, crackers and french fries. Personally, I'd rather have a small child who is healthy than one who eats like a horse, but only unhealthy foods.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I wouldnt worry so much, if they are active and happy, and healthy, dont stress about their weight. After a year of age kids dont eat as much, and dont grow as fast as they used to, so they eat less. And any dr. that tells you to give them butter, isnt worth listenign too(just my opinion) there are healthier things to give them. Nut butters, avovado, nuts, seeds, just regular food. Full fat cheeses, just taste better too. They say to watch what they eat over a week and if they dont eat well one day, they will even out within the week.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They will not starve themselves. Offer meals and snacks, if they eat fine if not that's fine too. You trying to make them eat will cause more problems than it solves.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 8:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010