Foster parents

How many of you are foster or adoptive parents and do you enjoy it? How has it changed the lives of the kid(s) that you have taken into your homes? I'd love to become a foster parent some day so I can help kids in need. I want to see kids live up to their potential and it would be nice to have some other kids for my daughter to grow up with. Do you find joy in being an adoptive or foster parent?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Adoption

• God yes!! I adopted my son at 2 weeks!! I know he is in a better place and I could not imagine any other child to love...I do not think of it as something I did to help him..I think of it as he helped me...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I was a foster parent for many years. Yes it does change the kids lives if you show them love, etc..as if they were your own. I had several foster kids I really loved whom I still am in touch with today. Its not always easy, can be a challenge, etc..but well worth it. Good luck.
    Mystic1Pen

Answer by Mystic1Pen at 4:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, we have fostered a few years now and adopted one child. It has totally changed our lives. You go into it thinking how you can change the life of a child for the better, what you don't expect is when they change yours. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Loved fostering. It is a lot of giving and it cost me out of pocket money to parent them well. I did medically fragile newborns mostly and did lots of medical appts. toddlers need you to be close and a strong back and arm for holding them. Preschoolers were a lot of fun with their willingness to play and usually take a new primary caregiver in their live well. School age is great because you have them in school, but visits make homework and dinner a squish in the evening.

Lots of emotional work for kids and us too. Have good boundaries with social workers and kids parents. Keep your eye on protecting your larger family (I have seen guns in bio parent glovebox, a child get taken by bio parents from social worker).

Well worth the output of time and energy~I would love to see the system improve for kids.....it feels like the parent has all the services and is the. Client
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Well said.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2010