Why Do So Many Feel Threatened By This?

Every day, women come in here to present their points of view. They want to be taken seriously, yet they choose not to use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation in their questions. People who point out that neglecting spelling, grammar and punctuation is detrimental to clear communication are vilified and informed that "it doesn't matter because it's just CafeMom."
What's your opinion? Shouldn't we all be proud enough of CafeMom to do the best job possible in terms of what we put out there?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 11:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I think it is important to spell things properly. Also, punctuation should be used. Oh and I can't stand the following. WhEn A PoSt LoOkS LiKe ThIs. WTH is that?
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with you. I don't think people really understand that you can hold a PhD but if you come on here and post using horrible grammar, no punctuation, bad spelling (especially since spell check is available) you present yourself as uneducated. Its really hard to take a post seriously when you have re-read it 5 times just to make sense of it.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Agreed. Though I am guilty at times of not using proper punctuation, but its not so bad that you can't understand my posts. At least I hope not. lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i think people tend to express their way of talking on here in their own way. as far as the grammar and spelling corectly. sometimes people type too fast and dont go back and look at what they have typed. i know on many occasions i have spelled incorrectly. but everyone is going to have their own views on everything. that is what makes all unique. thi is just my own opinion tho!!
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I believe in using correct grammar and punctuation, etc. However, I do not think that it should be biggest criteria of taking someone seriously or not. There is such a thing as common courtesy and respect. Rudely pointing out the mistakes of others just points to how obnoxious and self important some are (not necessarily you, OP, just throwing out there to chew on.) It is one thing to be educated. Quite another to be an educated snob. Grammar and spelling are important, but I will not discount a person for grammatical mistakes.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:57 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• guess you learn something everyday. i didnt know there was a spell check on here!! where is it at???
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Disagree, for the most part. Not everyone can help having bad spelling and grammar. Should they not come to a site when they may need advice and help just because YOU don't like their improper spelling and grammar? That doesn't seem very fair. Furthermore, it's NOT detrimental to communication. I've very well understood some questions on here that were perfect grammatically. Does it really matter all that much to you how someone else spells or types? Just let them be.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Minor spelling and grammatical mistakes are one thing, but when a post is unreadable, then yeah, I do hold a lower opinion of the person's intelligence and opinion. Also I generally won't point out the spelling mistakes unless it's the main topic of the post and having the correct spelling can help the person find more info. Like someone who asked about Crone's Disease - I corrected them that it's actually Crohn's. Not out of any need to feel superior, but because they'll be able to find more info with the correct spelling. As for the really bad ones, I don't even bother with them - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• weren't perfect*
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with LovingSAHMommy
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2010