do you make a special meal for samhian?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 12:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. We'll be eating Pastafarian style just like our pirate ancestors. RAmen for all.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's spelled Samhain... ( Pronounced " sew-in " or " sow-en )...

We make COLCANNON ( origin---Ancient Celtic Lands ) :Take a head of cabbage, quarter it. Take lots of peeled potatoes cut in quarters. Boil them together in a big pot of water. Drain when they're cooked thoroughly. Mash them together. Add lots of butter, garlic salt, and onion salt & black pepper. Slice cheddar cheese into the hot potatoes and cabbage mixture...

Now for the FUN part that my grandkids really love ! ( And, this is up to you whether you add it, Ladies, because some people are aghast at it and say--- " Oh, My God,---they'll ( the kids ) will choke to death !!! )... I get 1 inch by 1 inch ziplock bags at a craft store. Into the bags go plastic charms on ribbons that are knotted to make them into necklaces.

I fold these little charm containing bags into the Colcannon. if you get a spoonful of Colcannon with a charm in it it's lucky !!!..
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 8:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• what day is that? im unfamiliar and interested :)
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yes I usually do... along with the annual mummy dogs...LOL...yum, yum...
    but this yr with my oldest dd getting remarried on the 30th I haven't thought about
    my Samhain plans yet...

Kitty-Katt>>> Samhain/Halloween... Pagans celebrate the end of Fall and a new beginning of a new yr to come
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We usually make a big meal that includes all harvest foods.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yes we are. =)
    My Daughters are making it all this year! Yeah I do not have to cook! They are putting the menu together and it is **a secret** LOL but they seem excited!!! =)
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• If at all possible we like to have big dinners all three nights, it is a wonderful time to give thanks for the past and look twards the coming year.
    IndigoRose: I havent had Colcannon in what seem like a lifetime, It used to be one of my absolute favorates... might have to make that again this year, it always seems to be a pleasing part of the meal for everyone :)
    twiztedcandy

Answer by twiztedcandy at 12:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Hadn't thought about it...but since I got the night off work...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010