My dog wont stop eating POOP!!! OOOHHHHH

What can I do she goes outside and eats poop and then she will go to the cat litter and eat it as well what can I do any ideas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pets

• This is just a "dog thing" and all dogs will do it if they get the chance! It is a total gross out, I know, but all you can do is try to minimize her availibity to get to it. Try to give her chew toys and snacks and don't take her outside when she is hungry, but other than that you will have to look the other way (I certainly wouldn't be taking it out of her mouth!) and try to ignore it, like you do certain other aspects of "dog hygene"!
    Anonymous

• OMG MY DOG DOES THE SAME THING!UGH ITS DISGUSTING LOL I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TOUGH =/ IM GUESSING ITS JUST A DOG THING???
    BUT MINE DOESNT EAT IT..I HOPE..I JUST SEE HIM PLACE IT IN OTHER PLACES,AND THE BED!
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• THOUGH**
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i saw on a show that they do it because they scarf down their food and dont get it digested all the way. Try a new more healthy food and make your dog eat slowly. Just put only a handful in the dish. Wait for her to finish. Wait a lil more then put another handful in.
    Anonymous

• There are pills you can get that make them stop. My moms dog did the same thing and we got him the pills and he stopped. It actually make him sick when he eats it and I guess they don;t like getting sick just like we don't.
    MrsB1967

Answer by MrsB1967 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• its called coprophalgia (I hope I spelled it right) when they eat poop, especially anothers or their own poop. Its normal for them to eat the cat poop actually, the cat food is more tasty then their own, even after its passed through the cat! Disgusting I know to eat seconds like that! UGH! Talk to your vet, they have something for this.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• This is common in many animals including young horses. It does not, however, have anything to do with poor diet, eating too fast or tasting good. It has more to do with eliminating the competitions markings. It is a developed habit that can be broken if something is done early. There is a powder called "forbid" that you put in the food. In theory it is supposed to make the stool taste bad (as if it didn't already, lol). It has to be given to the cat and all dog's that you have. The yard should be scooped before giving the treatment. If your dog has had a habit of doing this for years (as in the case of my dog) you may never be able to break her of it.
    aggiechristie

Answer by aggiechristie at 11:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my dog used to and does once in a blue moon now..and yess its grooooossss!!! i bought these tablets that ya give them, and they eat it, and then it makes their poop i guess smell different..or gross or something, but they dont eat it..to my suprise it actually worked..it takes a few days for it to kick in..but..yaa it worked..that was in the summer when we gave them to him..and hes been good since then..caught him the other day tho..so i guess i gotta buy more tablets (from the local pet store)..that and well as cleaning up the poop every day works wonders!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Your dog in need of good nutrition!!! usually when dog eats wierd things they lack some very important nutritions , ask your vet for vitamin supplement. And to stop her from eatting her poo they are treats you can add to her food that makes poo smell unpleasent, hope that will help
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Copraphagia (poop eating)
    "Forbid" is a good product your dog and cats.
    Another good thing to get in habit of is cleaning up the poop right when they go and keeping the litter box clean.
    I know this takes a lot of time but it will help.
    Eating poop does not harm then it is more disgusting then anything.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008