birth control while breastfeeding

my DD is 9 days old and while in the hospital after having her the doc(who was not my normal doctor) gave me a scrpt for birth control (the mini pill) since i had mentioned it b4. b4 i got pregnant i was on the ortho evra patch for about a year and would like to still use the patch. my doctor said that he could write me a perscription for the patch at my 6 week visit. but the doc from the hospital said that i could start the mini pill 3 weeks pp and shouldnt start the patch for a few months bc it could lower my milk supply ,which my doc had never mentioned.

im HORRIBLE at taking pills and was wondering if anyone else has used the patch while BFing and had any problems???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Dr. told me it is perfectly fine to take BC pills after your milk is established. It is much better to breastfeed your baby and take BC pills than to switch to formula early just for that reason. I have not heard anthing about the patch, but my Dr. did warn that you HAVE to be good about taking the minipill or it will not be effective anyway.

JacobsMommy143

Answer by JacobsMommy143 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Don't formula feed just for the sake of a birth control. I breastfed and took the mini pill I too am horrible about remembering what I did was set an alarm to go off everyday and then I remembered to take my pill. If you are to worried about remembering it you can get an IUD nothing to think about with those. The reason you aren't supposed to have full hormonal birth control is because it can reduce the supply of milk.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 6:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Boy is the person with the first answer on the wrong site!

Anyway, I do what littlemissmom does. I set the alarm on my cell phone (since it's always with me) to go off at 10:00 every night (choose a time that you will most likely ALWAYS be awake and able to take a pill). The patch MAY diminish your milk supply, and though it's not a for sure thing, I would hold off on using that method as long as you possibly can. I was on the pill for six years using the alarm and never missed a pill. :) Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Ok, the first answer has been deleted, so ignore what I said! : D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I have a Paragard IUD because of many reasons, I don't trust hormones at all, my hubby is allergic to latex and I am allergic to spermicide to our options were limited.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I'm breastfeeding my daughter and my doc gave me special birth control pills for breastfeeding mother. It's not suppose to mess with your milk b/c he told me that regular birth control can. It's called Nora BE. Good luck!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2008