Keeping a kid's picture

My son painted a self-portrait in about 3rd grade and it's awesome. Unfortunately, it is just on paper, and has been moved around several times and is tattered and a little torn. Do you think I can tape it, smooth it out and get it mounted/framed? Do you have any other tips? He's going to be 20 in December and I just still love this picture.

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Preserve It!

If you don't want to pay a pro, go to the craft store and get acid-free materials to mount and frame it yourself. (Acid-free to prevent yellowing over time.)

You could also/instead, take a high-resolution photo of it, print that out on a high quality paper, and frame that.

In any case, you might want to attach a detailed label to the back, with info like: when it was painted, your son's 3rd grade pic, where you lived when it was done... Make it an heirloom for the future. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Actualy on second thought I would avoid the tape, over time the tape will yellow, the acid free matt and glass from the frame should be all you use on it
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Just frame it
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Absolutely, go for it.
    Mom2Jack04

• i would get it mounted to. if u had it all this time on the wall then i would get it mounted. thats what i would do. i wanna keep everything my kids do. i wouldn't care if it was a self portrait. because if u lose it then u will never get it back. and i would be sad if anything happened to it. u can hang it on the wall and say that is what my son drew when he was in 3rd grade. i would be proud of him.
    mejia1986

Answer by mejia1986 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I've seen a couple old drawings that had actually been mounted on canvas and covered with some sort of seal. You'll preserve the drawing and still get the charm of its age and travel history. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm sentimental. If you love it., Why not? It is Art and you made the Artist! Good Luck! Enjoy..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Don't tape it - take it as is to a professional framer and they can mat and frame it beautifully and protect it too.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• How nice that you've kept it all this time. I would take it to a professional framer and ask them the best way to preserve it.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 7:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'd actually get it framed, that way you won't have to worry about it getting tattered anymore.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010