Do you think wearing or displaying the cross is a form of idolatry?

I know that Jehovah Witnesses' believe and teach this but I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

adelinasmommy

Asked by adelinasmommy at 12:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I kind of agree. I don't belong to any church but I always thought wearing a Cross or putting one on a wall was worshiping a symbol and the general consensus is that you should not worship symbols. So....I guess.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I don't, no. I only see something as idolatrous if someone is worshiping it/putting it on the same level as God. A symbol or a piece of jewelry doesn't qualify, IMO.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• bandgeek,but they say it is a sign of god so it is the same!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• The cross is more symbolic, albeit rather creepy - in modern times it would be the equivalent of wearing an electric chair or a lethal injection needle. Now, the worship and adulation people have for a book, that definitely crosses over into idolatry. Too many place the actual text of their chosen Bible version above the beliefs behind it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No. It is a symbol of what our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ went through to do for us what we are unable to do for ourselves--save our souls from eternal damnation, and give us eternal life in Heaven,with Him. He endured the most horrific death in the history of the world,and I very proudly wear a cross as my daily reminder of what He went through for me, unworthy though I am. It's as important to me as my wedding ring, and gives me comfort, if I'm having a bad day, I can hold it, and am reminded Jesus is never far from me.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 12:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No I dont think this... but we cannot know where a person's heart is at when we see them with a cross.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Nope. I think it is a symbol of devotion.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• im not that religious, but i have a cross on a necklace
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I believe it is, and I hadn't thought about it but the "holy books" are crossing lines as well.
    okietutty

Answer by okietutty at 2:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's a tough one. Being Jewish a cross obviously doesn't mean anything to me. I think it depends on the purpose of the cross. If it's simply a sign of your faith in much the same way I would wear a Star of David, then no, I don't think it's idolatry. If, however, someone gives that cross a power that's exclusive to G-d, like asking it for a miracle or rubbing it for "good luck" or something like that, then I would think that is idolatry. But not because of the symbol itself, but because a person is making it more powerful than it is.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010