Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with separation anxiety in my puppy?

I have the sweetest puppy. She is 5 months old, part Jack Russell, part Daschund. I love having her around, but when we leave and go somewhere, she always tears stuff up, and I think she's suffering from separation anxiety. Bless her heart. When I don't pay her attention, she sits and whines. What are some great suggestions, so Maggie May doesn't miss her mommy so much when I'm away. Thanks in advance!

jaycietaylorgma

Asked by jaycietaylorgma at 12:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I've heard people say they put the radio on for their pets, stuffed toys to keep their puppy company and close bedroom doors so the puppy doesn't do it's business in these rooms while you're away. My dog wasn't a puppy and she got upset when we didn't bring her along every time we went out. She used to watch for us in one of the bedroom windows awaiting the sound of the car pulling up by the house.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• That's a good idea, leavikng the radio on. I guess it would make her feel like someone's here. Thanks.
    jaycietaylorgma

Comment by jaycietaylorgma (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• For starts, crate her, or keep her in a safe part of the house when you're gone so she doesn't tear up the house.

What I've always done with my dogs is as follows:
    With puppy hanging out around where she can see the front door, grab your keys/purse/I'm leaving now things, walk outside and close the door.
    Wait 30 seconds and walk back in without acknowledging puppy until you've put your things away. Don't fuss over her, just a pat and hello.
    In a couple minutes do it again, waiting 3 minutes outside this time
    Continue the pattern, increasing by a few minutes every time until you reach 15-20 minutes. Do this every day until she has no interest in you leaving.

What you're dong with that is stressing the idea that you are going to come back to her and that there's no reason to worry. toys to play with always help with the boredom, but won't help unless she's calm enough to play with them. Good luck! :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Great idea! Thanks you flitpixie. I will do that. I've never heard of doing it that way before. I appreciate the idea. Thanks.
    jaycietaylorgma

Comment by jaycietaylorgma (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• aww poor baby .. my jack russell is 4 and still does it lol so ill be checking back for some tips
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Crate train him. We had a German short haired pointer and he was crate trained. When you leave the house put puppy in the crate. Make sure it is big enough for him to move around in. They actually get to like it. He would go in there all by himself to sleep just because he liked it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010