A really stupied ? is going to be asked here...

I was raised in a Christian household, (Lutheran)(I have sense converted to Paganism) and never once did I hear these phrases as I do now...

1. "I am Christian, not Catholic
2. "Oh you are a Catholic, not a Christian"
3. "You can't be a Christian if you are a Catholic, or a Mormon, or a JW"
4. "Oh, you are? I will pray that you find God and he leads you from Catholicism" this also applies to the Mormon and JW faiths...

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why ppl think this way?
From my understanding those who claim Christianity are Christians no matter the denomination of the branch ... Is this Wrong? and Why if you think it is?

Very Curious...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 12:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my way of thinking as long as yoy believe in god you are Christian.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They are UNEDUCATED. That's it.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Never heard anyone say that. Why would a Catholic not be a Christian in someone's eyes. Confused.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Because the denominations don't get along very well and have to have that sense of "we're better because _______ (fill in the blank)". I think it's stupid but it's like that no matter what the religion is.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• JW, mormonism fundamental beliefs , especially in decerning who Christ is, are far different than that of catholicism and other Christian faiths.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I've never thought of Catholics as anything but Christians. Can't imagine anyone telling them they aren't. I've been in church my whole life. I will say, I don't understand a whole lot about the Catholic church, but no one has the right to tell them they aren't Christians.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 12:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Where I grew up it was mainly Catholics and a sizable group of LDS. The mainstream protestants were the odd ones out, so the Catholic bashing and Mormon bashing didn't really come up. It wasn't until they invented the internet that I started running into people who'd been raised to hate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• stupid
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Let's see if I can get this right: Some protestants don't think Catholics are Christian because they think they worship idols and worship Mary, and they disagree with the belief that the Eucharist is really the body and blood of Christ. Some Christians, including the Catholic Church don't accept Jehovah's Witnesses as Christian because they don't believe in the Trinity, nor in a particular judgement before the general judgement....Some Christians, including the Catholic Church don't believe Mormon's to be Christian because they don't believe in the Trinity.......Basically, there is a Creed that different denominations adhere to, and if another denomination's belief contradicts theirs on certain key points, they don't consider them to be Christian....some denominations also label others to be cults, because the definition of cult varies from denomination to denomination also...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• A huge lack of understanding of the different denominational beliefs.
    A Christian is this. One who believes and confesses that Jesus is Lord and Savior and that He died and rose again, that He IS the SON of God. They are the ones that do not reject Holy Spirit as well. That is the key. Only God knows the depths of the heart and where they are at with HIM.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010