Is America fat because food really isn't work anymore? (ok, part of why)

I upped my plank pose yesterday to a full minute (OOOOOUUUUCCHHHH), then decided to make homemade noodles today.

Kneading the dough was kicking my abs, lol, because they already hurt. In the old days, not only did you have to knead the dough, you had to harvest the grain and mill it, or at the very least walk a couple of miles to get the flour.

Now, you don't even have to stand up if you want to eat. You can just run through a drive thru.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• All of that - we don't burn even half the calories we used to, and on top of that, we make all our foods 3 or 4 times calorie denser than they used to be. Even if you eat what your body registers by volume or weight as a "normal" amount of food - you're still really eating 6 times the food you should every day.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I hope you didn't dislocate a phalange or anything.

Planks kill me too.

And, food is not really food anymore. Just chemicals, frankfoods that sort of thing.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You're probably right, that is a part, but also we worked physically harder in all aspects of life, not just in preparing the food. Also tke into account that there were no preservatives and additives, and we ate what was in season and local.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You are right! I also think that the food today just is not healthy in general.
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's not just the lack of making the food but whats in the processed junk we do eat. HFCS, GMO's, and chemicals up the wazoo.

By this time next year my family will be completely sustained on homegrown, homemade food....I will grow, raise, and make everything I can and get the rest from other local farmers. The changes we have made have not only made a huge difference in our health and waistlines but we all look healthier and have more energy.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Probably true. And we don't move enough.Its good that you are doing 'plank poses' ...do you do more Yoga? I rarely buy fast food or packaged meals. I like to broil or bake salmon,chicken,steam veggies, bake potatoes and avoid white flour pasta,etc. It does take more effort to cook and bake from scratch but it is healthier.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• That's exactly why I use baking as anger management. Especially when it comes to bread or noodles, it takes so much more physical energy to make it from scratch than just run to the store.

On a semi-related note, I was thinking about this last week so I walked everywhere rather than using my car. My legs were aching after the first day but at the end of the week, I actually ate less simply because I had less time for it.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Everything is processed with crap and our meat is full of growth hormones...then you have the drive thru and what gets me is I see a busy drive thru I park the car...go in and nobody is at the counter, I order, get my food and get back in my car and the drive thru people are still in line. People are lazy compared to years ago. why make a pizza from scratch when they come frozen, why make anything fresh and from scratch when you can open a container/package...why does there have to be fast food and other places on every corner? why do gas stations have so much crap...shoot I seen gas stations that have a sausage gravy dispenser and you just pull out the bisquits and squirt your gravy all over...yeah there's plenty of reasons why we are fatter
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We have all this new technology that makes life "easier" and we have become lazy and complacent (sp?). Kids would rather sit in front of the computer or the gaming system instead of going outside.

I used to buy those boxed dinners until I had to start paying more attention to the sodium content for my son when he got sick. I had never realized just how much salt was in some things. In a Banquet all-in-one box (the ones that come with the meat in a can) the sodium content is well over 900mg ... saw one that was 1500mg of SODIUM!

My dad is working earning a cooking degree from a local community college and has promised to teach me and my sister how to make pasta at home. =) I'm thrilled. Fresh pasta has a much better taste!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• All good answers. We've become so sedentary in our lifestyle, and we're passing this on to our children as well! I know I'm guilty of sitting at the computer or at my desk a lot of the day . Both my family and my husband's has a tendency to gain weight easily and there is high blood pressure and diabetes on both sides as well. My husband and I are trying to cut out high fructose corn syrup and all those packaged foods that have so much sodium. I like the other poster's idea of becoming more self sufficient in growing your own foods. I think we can work on that by starting a garden. We live partially in town so I'd have to see if we would be allowed to have chickens.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2010