i'm trying to potty train my youngest son, but when i go to do it he don't do anything then after i put a diaper on him he goes in his diaper and then tells me, his he ready to be potty trained

mejia1986

Asked by mejia1986 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to put him on the potty with a book, play a game or reward him once he potty's. The first time he goes on the potty, going in the diaper will be "yuckie" to him.
    Learn his potty routine. Mine has to potty every morning the second he wakes up. When his feet touch the floor I make him go straight to the bathroom. Try doing that. Early in the morning is the best time, because they've gone 8 hours without going (unless he pee's in his sleep).
    My 3 year old is fully potty trained now. He's been trained since right before his 3rd birthday. He sleeps in big boy undies now and ALWAYS wakes up in the middle of the night if he has to go. He goes on his own and runs in my room with his undies to get them back on after he's done then runs back in his bed. It's truly wonderful.

Good luck on your journey!!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I am potty training my daughter this weekend. i was having the same issue as you i would put her on nothing then put a diaper on and she would go. Well i devoted this whole weekend to staying home and helping her cause she is so ready. My 1st piece of advice dont put a diaper on him. I put my daughter in underware as soon as she wakes up and then just a shirt or dress so she can easily sit on the potty. So far she has done great so far. she only gets a diaper on when she sleeps or if we go somewhere since she is just begining. Good luck.

babemakes4

Answer by babemakes4 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Here are some great resources. I didn't find these until my kids were already "trained" but I have seen children whose parents practice this and it really actually works (not to mention making perfect sense!)

http://www.tribalbaby.org/

and

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/child-training/potty-training/
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• A piece of advice my grandma gave me for potty training is to buy a little bag of M&Ms. If he goes #1 give him one M&M and if he goes #2 give him 2. DONT give him M&Ms any other time. I havnt tried it yet, but it sounds like a great incentive for a little one to get the hang of it fast.
    kat12874

Answer by kat12874 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• thats common! you just need to work on the timing and also entertain him while he sits. I put a basket of my sons favorite books in the bathroom and he'll sit for quite some time looking at the pictures.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010