With my children being my #1 priority, I have lost who I am. How do you find out who you are anymore, I dont know what career I want or even who I am anymore??

Being a mother is the most wonderful thing ever!! Iguess with my divorce and me trying to find out what career I want, I just feel lost. Anyone been through this phase before with some suggestions.?????

melissac9903

Asked by melissac9903 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like my identity is "Mommy", lol. You could take some sort of career test to tell you where your interests could best be used. Try googling it and some tests should come up. Best of luck on your self-discovery! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Thanks! I will try that.
    melissac9903

Comment by melissac9903 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I know this feeling... all too well. You have to realize you didn't lose yourself, you're in there some where. You just became a mom. I always put my twins first, they are my every second of every day, Then I realized that it's ok sometimes to get a babysitter or leave them at home with their dad and go have time to yourself without being the mom with milk on your jeans and cereal in your hair. All of these questions you are asking don't need an answer right away. As long as you are a great mom you are already somebody. I know this doesn't really help you or give you answers but I really don't believe taking tests or having people tell you what they think you should do is going to help you either. Take the things you love the most and run with it. If you like fashion then take dressmaking classes.. if you like photography there's a lot of small local papers who take people with no experience.. or take a class. GOOD LUCK!
    momoftwins0987

Answer by momoftwins0987 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Moma, you are still somewhere in there, it just was put on hold, this happens to most of us, plus you got a divorce to make it worse. Hang in there you will soon figure it out.

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Just remember, when you're gone, do you want to be remembered for the kind of Mother you were, or how great your career was, and how well you did at it? Just put it in perspective, and you'll realize that you didn't really lose yourself, you're right where you're supposed to be...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• yesss im going through this right now, i know the feeling i have two kids and there father is not around and i feel like i completely lost myself, i feel helpless, but i know they will grow and things will get better. i have faith and everything will be okay...HUGGS
    layabooo

Answer by layabooo at 1:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• MrsLeftlane I appriciate your comment but I dont think you have to choose being a great mother or your career. I think that it you want a great career and its something you enjoy you should. Having a career is a must for a Single MOTHER.
    melissac9903

Comment by melissac9903 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I had my 1st at 17 and now I'm 41 and 4 kids later all i have done was devote ME to THEM now the youngest is in school and I have the time to go to school but have no clue what to take or what I would want to do or be. When I'm alone I'm lost because I am never alone now with school starting I have 30 hours a week of nothing but time and I'm so lost, heck I'm not even sure how to have a hairstyle other then a ponytail! You are not alone!
    Anonymous