Isn't there a law that says you aren't supposed to advertise a place for rent saying "no kids"

There has been this 2 bedroom for rent and the ad says...

No kids, no pets, no smoking

I get the no pets/no smoking but I thought there was a law saying you couldn't advertise that you went allowing kids

what's funny is the place that is for rent is owned by our school's principle

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It's illegal, against the Federal Fair Housing Act.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think a landlord can choose who he wants living in his house, and if they dont' want children living in the home, then that would be their choice.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• EEWWW!!! I wouldnt want my child in that school with someone like that. Thats just wrong. i get the no smoking and no pets thing, but no kids? WOW
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think the only time you can do that is if you are renting out places in a retirement community.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• If the apartment is in a building for age restricted adults i.e. retirement building then it would be ok. I know the Sun City Communities you have to be 55 or older to rent or buy there. There may also be CCR's that dictate who, what, where and when.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It depends. Is it in a complex/building? If so, and more than 80% of the tenants are older than 55, it can be considered a retirement community. If it is a standalone rental and the landlord intends to rent it to someone over the age of 62, the ad can say 'no kids'.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Are you even looking for a home? Then why would you report it? A home owner has a right to dictate who lives in their home.
    Did he refuse to rent to you?
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I believe it's discrimination.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I dont know if thats a law, it probably depends on where you live. Kids can destroy a house just as easily as a pet. There are adult only apartments and things, why not houses?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• no it is not seniors only and it is not an apt. building...but I always thought it was illegal to say you won't rent to kids
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010