how can i get my 1 year olds to stop pressing the tv buttons

we dont have a flat screen or anything liek that, its one of the big fat ones... lol.
I know there are covers for flat screens but idk what to do about ours
they're constantly turning the tv off, changing the channels,
idk what to do. ive tried ignoring it,
moving them
telling them no
im so frustrated.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can go to onestepahead.com, they have plastic covers for the buttons of tvs and other eletronics and the remote will still work for them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Give him his own play remote. tell him the big 1 is mine. this works with my grandson when he was 1
    Doccreek

Answer by Doccreek at 1:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They have two for the older-style televisions too. One works and the other doesn't. I'll see if I can find you a link. Do you need to use the buttons on the tv or can you use the remote for everything?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Unplug the TV. A one year old really shouldn't be watching TV anyway!
    Anonymous

• http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5784&parentCategoryId=85194&categoryId=85248&subCategoryId=86238
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You have to be consistent and stand up go to them each time, pull them away, look them in the eye and give them firm, "no", and take them to the other side of the room or to a different room....if you believe in it (I know many people do not) at that age, smacking the hand reinforces the "no" and teaches them a bit quicker....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• The one that works, attaches to the tv, and you can remove it with the velcro, but don't, because you won't get it to attach firmly again. Depending on the design of the buttons on your television, and the size, you may need a different model. I advise you to go to babies r us and look at the styles and sizes they have. Don't get the one that just slides under the tv without attaching, because little fingers can still get between the guard and the tv.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Our front panel has a "lock" option in the menu. And my tv is 8 yrs old....see if yours does. I don't think they are trying to get your attention, they just love buttons, to see what they do. Basic curiousity.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• While I agree with 1 yr olds should not be watching tv and they are probably trying to get your attention - you should not be to the point of getting frustrated with your children. You need to tell them: "DO NOT touch this" and the SECOND they touch it - you slap their hand and say "NO! I said DO NOT TOUCH THAT! Naughty!!" And you keep doing that until they stop. No, it's not abuse, no it's not going to hurt them. You NEED to teach your children that when you say something - you MEAN IT! If you don't mean it when you tell them not to touch the tv, then you probably don't mean it when you tell them NOT to run into the street and may not even mean it when you say 'I love you'. They are NOT going to obey you until you put some action behind your words and the only person you should be frustrated with is yourself for not properly training them. I know I sound harsh - but I had to learn this lesson too. Just keep that in mind.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My husband and I take out the batteries of a remote (especialy when we are playing on the Wii) and give it to my son so that he thinks he is playing too.
    kat12874

Answer by kat12874 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2010