how do you tell your kids a family member died

how do you tell your kids a family member has just died ???
my 2 sons 4 and 10 , grandpa died saturday night at the hospital , none of his grandkids were there because it was bad and we all chose for our kids not to go thru that , us adults can get thru it eaiser in some ways .

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I just tell them that the person died and wait for the questions. We have had a few pets die, so they know about death. We lost a few grandparents over the years. They handled it very well.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 1:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm Sorry for your loss. I know when I found Pa. I was with my DD. She was 3. She went with me to the hospital every day. He squeezed her hand. He died 10 days later. She spent her 4th Birthday at his funeral. Its Sad. Same thing for my niece. She was just 2. When I found-Ma dead. I was 13. She went up to the coffin and pointed, Grandma. And we all cried. Its Sad. Its a part. of the cycle of life. I guess what helped was we always had pets. The girls learned on their pets dying of death and all. Its never easy..The hospital may have a grief counselor or your church to help advise. I wish you the peace and comfort you need in your time of loss. I hope it helps knowing others care.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Same here we had a pet die it introduced death when my son was 8. plus my mother died when i was young so he already knew about family loss...although it didnt stop the inevitable questions and tears. He also didnt want another dog after that...I bet they know more than you think at least the older one....
    okietutty

Answer by okietutty at 1:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I took my daughter to see my Dad in the hospital and explain that he was recieving chemo for cancer. I also explained that God may be planning on taking him home. But then he would go home to heaven, my grandparents will be waiting there to help him. So he will get to see his parents again.
    Very simple and kind of sad but I wanted her to understand that he was sick and he needed to see her there. She actually walked up, grabbed her Grandpa's hand and said, "it will be ok Grampa, I love you." He had tears in his eyes.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Sorry for your loss. I just lost my Father this past April 1st.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm very sorry for your loss. I would talk to them and tell them that Grandpa had been very sick, and he died. Some of the older ones may ask what that means, just use your judgment on how to explain that. Do let them know he is no longer sick or in pain. I don't think there is an easy way of handling it.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm sorry for your loss...... As for the topic, I do talk to my children about death, becasue it is a part of life, I have spoken to them about before I had a family memeber pass, so when it did happen they had somewhat of an understanding of it so it wasn't very difficult to explain.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 2:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• when I was young, like around 8 I think and my aunts boyfriends daughter was hit by a car....my gramma explained it to me like this. Jesus was out in the garden today picking his daily bouquet. Jesus chooses the most beautiful flowers each day to take home to God. Today, Misty was one of those beautiful flowers. It was time for her to go home to be with Jesus and God. That was about the most simple way to explain it and I am 32 and still remember it. Made amazing sense to me, my brother and my cousin at that time.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010