Do you have a "threat" that makes them behave?

My 4yo was acting up with two other boys (4 and 6yo brothers) in church this morning. I was having zero luck getting my son to cooperate and behave, even after a timeout, and was getting ready to go home early. We have a standing reward if he's good in church, and I reminded him he was going to lose that as well. There was just no getting through to him.

The other boys mother came in, called them over, whispered something to them, and they were IMMEDIATELY much better!

Do you have a "threat" that you use to get your kid to immediately behave like that? What's your best trick when you're loosing control of your little one in a public place? Please share what works for you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we threaten to take her to the car and spank her and bring her back in. usually the threat is enough.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We threaten to take away his cars....but he's getting to the point where I'm going to start threatening to "call Santa" if he acts up.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I used to use the threat of a spanking when my son was younger. Had to follow up on it a few times to remind him I meant business but it usually worked.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I don't use threats unless you count "The eye" as a threat lol i give them that look that only a mom has and they straighten right up but then again my kids have always been pretty well behaved case in point when my oldest 2 were 4 and 2 i took them to an appointment with me and while all the other kids ran around raising hell mine sat and behaved so when i was called back they said wow i didnt even know you had kids with you I never saw them run around or misbehave once
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I use the one;two;three trick.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• the corner or not being able do somthing fun
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• used to, my son is three now so he listens maybe fifty percent of the time. at times when i mention time out he gets it together, at times he laughs in my face. just looking at him used to work too, not anymore.. he is three. he knows everything better than i do.. lol
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i need new ideas..nothing works!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I really dont worry about it, usually my kids are really behaved in public. Sometimes a threat to tell daddy or a spanking/time out is needed but not very often.

My sister gives her son pennies/dimes/quarters everytime he is good at a place they go. He carries them around in his pockets and if he is bad she takes one away. Sometimes she lets him buy things with the money he has earned (the small machines like at walmart where you get bouncy balls or sticky bugs or candy). He is 2 by the way and it works like a dream. I'm thinking of trying it with mine although the way they listen I might end up broke. Something to think about for the future though.

Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 12:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2010