Where do you guys stand on the thumb sucking issue?

I get critizzed as a bad mom becayse my daughter sucks her thumb. She 3 months and ive tried to get her to take a pacifier and she never would. So where does everyone stand on the whole thumb sucking issue?

lovemybaby72

Asked by lovemybaby72 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son never took a pacifier and will only suck his thumb. Its hard to try to break him of it but I dont care one way or the other. What I dont like is when you see a kid that is 3 or 4 and still has a pacifier....but thats just me.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You can't take away a body part. It is self comforting. My grandson sucked on the inside of his wrist. I have an ultra sound of him doing it in utero. They will stop on their own. Blow off the insensitive people who call you a bad MOm. My gs stopped on his own when he was 4.for the most part. Every once in a while I will check him before going to bed and he's asleep with it in his mouth. Trying to get them to stop is emotionally damaging as far as I'm concerned.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• LOL at GrnEyedGrandma. She said it best!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I don't like the thumb sucking, but I don't mind it with children who are under 1 or 2, but after that I don't think they should have it in their mouth, the same with a pacifier, it is ok for babies, but after you are 1 or 2 that's it.... no more.....

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 2:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have a 4 year old that sucks his thumb. He used to ALWAYS have his thumb in his mouth, but now it's just when he's tired. I never really had much of an opinion on it til i had one, but now i'm convinced it's a genetic thing. My husbands mom did it til she was in her TEENS! And his niece and nephew suck on either a thumb or fingers. A couple other people in the fam do it to. I talk to him about sucking his thumb, but i'm just going to let him grow out of it. And start saving for braces NOW! LOL!

I dont particularly care if people call me a bad mom about it. It's one of those things....dont judge til you've walked in my shoes, ya know?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

What are you gonna do? Cut their thumb off or follow them around 24/7 to make sure they dont pop it in?

MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Until they are older thumb sucking is not going to affect their teeth or whatever. My two boys refused to use pacifiers. One was an ardent thumb sucker. It's a comfort thing. Most outgrow it by the time they are two or three, without any prompting from mom and dad. If it continues to be a problem then, there are ways of encouraging them to stop.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Your child is 3 months and people are looking down on you lol I have a 3 yr old who still sucks his thumb and hes about to be 4 in December and has been sucking his thumb since we took his binky away when he first turned 3. I dont mind it at all, just not a big deal to me. Now it does bother me a little when he alway has it n his mouth but i think as time goes on he will slowly start to take it out more often. Dont worry what others think
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• People actually criticize you for your INFANT sucking her thumb?! What morons!
    I sucked my thumb until I was EIGHT. I stopped sucking it in public when I was pretty small, probably about 3, but I sucked it to fall asleep at night until I was 8. My teeth are not crooked, and I have a small overbite that the dentist was not concerned about. I think crooked teeth and overbites are due to genes, not thumb-sucking.
    My mom forced me to quit sucking my thumb by covering my hand with a sock and safety-pinning the sock to the long sleeve of my winter nightgown. GrnEyedGrandma is right; it was emotionally damaging.
    mawd

Answer by mawd at 12:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010