My 5 yr old wets his pants just because. Lol. He gets busy doing something and doesn't want to take the time to go into the bathroom. How can I beak him of this?

He also wears a pull up at night because of bedwetting problems. I get him up at 2am and 6am to use the bathroom, but it doesn't always keep him dry. I read in a magazine it will "train" him to wake up to the urge ques. I am worried about interrupting his sleep so much. I limit his liquid before bed, have him empty his bladder, and all that. What else can I do?

Caoimhe_Oona

Asked by Caoimhe_Oona at 2:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Speak with his physician. Some kids are just such heavy sleepers that they just don't wake up. I would also be worried about waking him up so much.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• just keeping asking if need to go every so often. time him when he starts to play and when he wets pants and then you can ask him when he starts to play
    tinker16233

Answer by tinker16233 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Retrain him. If you know it has been a couple of hours sense he went to the bathroom. Remind him to go.

Answer by louise2 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Maybe you can keep the pull up's on him during the day as well. That will definately limit him wetting his pants through the day.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• m-avi is right.

My oldest step son was such a heavy sleeper, he just didn't wake up. We tried limiting caffeine, drinks, waking him up, alarms, visualization techniques--pretty much everything. We didn't want to put him on meds, but this was still happening at age 10 and he was upset that he wasn't able to go on sleepovers. He wore Goodnights at night, but was too embarrassed to wear them to a friends and sometimes he peed thru them.

Finally we put him on meds. It worked and he was able to be a normal kid. He was only on the meds for 3 years and has not had any problems since.

Take him to the doctor. See what your options are. That was 10 years ago for me, but remember the frustration.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• He needs to learn its okay to take a bathroom brake. You can start with the talking and reminding and if it keeps happening start taking away whatever it was that he wouldn't break from to go potty.
    Limit his drinks before bed too and that should help at night.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• bedwetting at night is partly herditary. i ahve 2 of them and one who is not. my son got a bedwetting alarm at 7 and it cured him, had beath in the family this june and he has started to wet once or twice a week again. be patient and kind. remind him. our pedi suggested for daytime wetting (years ago) to reward you can ride your bike or video game but if you have an accident to remove the reward until good behavoir follows. it did work for daytime but you cant really do it at night. try to not allow any drinks too late after dinner. good lcuk
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010