special ed in public schools

what are your expierences with yourself or your kids being in s.ed , or you work in it , my son 10 in a mainstream class with a wonderfull aide , he is autistic and adhd , in 5th grade and functions at 2-3 years behind.
I believe its important to be with his peers even tho way behind them , and you really cant hold them back in grades as their age group moves on , and i think its important for him to be exposed to all he is academically even tho way over his head , and not pushing anything and being sure he feels no pressure to perform or please anyone.
i work with my son daily myself on academics and daily life with the enviournment of when hes done - hes done and thats ok.

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My only experience with special ed is the boy we now tutor. He was sent to what they called the "resource room" for most of his classes where someone would give him the answers or dismiss his work as unnecessary. For tests he would be given a blank test and a key and told to copy the answers so that his grades would stay high enough to pass even though he did very little daily work. He has had an IEP since grade 3 and has learned very little in the public school system since that time. His math is around a 5th grade level - and he's a sophomore in high school this year. He can't even read in cursive because part of his IEP is for handwriting so cursive was never taught to him. It still saddens me because for all the work we have done, I don't know if he will ever be caught up - he will be 17 next month and at 18 he plans to be done with school.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• my experience is they said I was retarded and parked me in a special ed class two years ago I found out I have asperger's syndrome

and it is helping me I take it for what it is now I can still be successful. But back then you were stuck in one class and that was it now they mainstreamed us but never realized we had potential. That was how I discovered I was not retarded I had good great reading and english skills and have the potential to speak between seven and fourteen languages hope its better for your son

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i had to have an IEP in school b/c i was disabled {im blind} i see the way the others w/ more sever disability's are treated and i dont thing its fair they should b exposed not forced to remain in the same place 4 the time theyre in school. i too have aspergers but i excelled at everything but math they did put me in a special math class but other than that i was ok
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's really going to depend on the diagnosis/functioning level. I work with kids with special needs at the high school level - all with an IQ below 70. We have a wide range of diagnoses and fuctioning levels and each of our 44 students has their own IEP. In all honesty it would be unfair for most of our kids to be in mainstream clases - both to them and to the other students. Absolutely some of the kids are in mainstream classes (modified curriculum) and they will go on to live semi-independantly (may need help with finances, etc, but independant for daily living tasks, and able to hold a paying job). But many of our students IEP goals are as simple as printing their name, learning their phone #, indentifying colours. And of course along with all of that are behavioural issues that would not be helped by being in a "regular" classroom. It really all depends on the individual student as to which is better for them.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My oldest is in 13 and spends most of his day in an AU class (8 kids, 1 teacher, 2 assistants), but lately has been going into 7th grade mainstream classes for health/PE, science, and music. His IQ is in the 80 range, which is considered "normal" but on the lower end.
    My hope is for him to be able to complete highschool and get his diploma instead of a certificate, but how he does in his mainstream classes this year will determine a lot of whether or not he may be able to accomplish that. I am very pleased with how well his teachers work with him, and that they have high expectations for him. What he has accomplished in the past 8 years since starting school just amazes me! He was completely nonverbal at 5 and is now able to go into classes with typical peers - completely astounding!

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Oh - my son has autism

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i think it depends on the school system your child is in and if the teachers around him care enough to make sure they learn.....my son has aspergers, adhd, and antixy disorder......and he was placed in a room for "bad kids" and it was war all the time between me and the school....know he is in what is called modified learning room and his doing wonderfuly and is mainstreaming for part of the day with an aid......so i think you have to judge each seperatly.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2010