how do you get a 6 six year to sleep in his room all night

tinker16233

Asked by tinker16233 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When you find the answer to that, let me know, please. Cause I can't get my 3 year old to stop coming into my bed at 3-4 am!! It's driving me NUTS!!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I wish I could help you but my son has been sleeping in his own room since he was 6 months old so we don't have this problem. Good luck.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• There are monsters throughout the house and the only room that is monster free is his room!

Just put him in his bed and when he gets up, keep carrying or walking him back in there. Eventually it will work, if you can outlast him.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My six year old come to sleep with us when he has a bad dream, about 4 times a year. I can tolerate that. If he was having a problem more often, I'd tell him that he has to stay in his bed so that we can all get good rest. It is not safe to be up running around at night.
    I'm sure you've tried this stuff.
    Maybe the "only your roomis safe" might work.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Night light, something to make white noises at night might help to decrease the "scary" house sounds if that is the problem and lock your bedroom door at night. If he can't get in, he can't get in your bed.. At 6 it should not be an everynight thing.. Sounds like a habbit that needs to be broken..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Duct tape.

No really, he's old enough to understand that he needs to stay in there. When he doesn't, he needs to be put back in, and have a consequence. Do this over and over and over and over until he stays.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Sorry, ALL of my children, aged 12 -5 crawl into bed with me almost every night. DH and I got TWO queen sized beds to accommodate the large crowd that collects around 4 am. I wouldn't want it any other way. As long as they go to sleep in their own beds, I don't really care if they wake up in mine. If they are keeping me awake, I just tell them to go back to their own beds. 

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 7:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My daughter is 6 and has pretty much always slept in her own room. We taught her that she was to sleep in her own room and didn't really give her an option. She had a few bad dreams and lonely nights after her Dad died, so she'd come in with me. That was an exception that I made for good reason. But overall? She sleeps in her own room.
    As for how do you get a child to do that? I'd say by teaching him he is to sleep in his own room. Over and over, for however long it takes.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• try a cool night light. like one that has a pic on the wall when its on in the dark.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 12:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• well to be honest my 3 do the same thing but im having to be more consistant with putting them back in their rooms and we have a night time ritul of story prayer and i stay with them for about 10min they are starting to slee through the night in their own beds we went from having to take them back to bed to around 2 night s of having to take them to bed you just got to b stern bc if u let in once they will think they can ge away with it agian be consistant. good luck
    mg25

Answer by mg25 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010