Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? (Neighbors horse issue)

Almost two months ago, i moved three of my horses to a different pasture. It's not my property, but i have full permission to use it. We have a crazy neighbor that has property that borders the pasture i'm using. When i moved my horses, their wild horse came through the fence into my pasture. I fixed the fence then went and talked to the guy, and he told me it was MY FAULT that HIS horse came through the fence because I put horses in there and he's not going to come get her. It irritated me because i cant run a hose to this pasture to water. I have to haul water and it's a big pain. Now the feed is gone and i need to start feeding hay, but i refuse to feed someone elses horse. Hay is expensive. I've already had the Sheriff's come out, and they cant do anything. So i'm either letting the horse out on her own, or taking mine out and leaving her back there with no feed and water. Then i'll report her as a neglected animal.

Answer Question

Asked by MommaTurbo at 3:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pets

Level 16 (2,451 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Report her as a neglected animal first. The people that own the land need to call the sheriff and complain that the horse is on their property.

    Answer by Misteh at 3:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • I would call animal control and say that there is a horse that is not yours on your property that needs to be removed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • You could try once more to get him to come get his horse and inform him if she is not out in the next 3 days you will be calling animal control and reporting the horse as abandoned/neglected. They will either force him to move the horse or take custody of it. Either way the horse will be gone.

    Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 3:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • I agree with everyone else. Get in touch with the property owner as well to see if they can help you out.

    good luck

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • i would also ask the person whom lets you leave your horse there to see about talking to that neighbor about keeping his horse away being its their land and they just let your horse use the land, he has h is own land to keep his horse in and his responsibility to keep it penned in.

    Good luck!

    Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • I guess i wasn't clear. There IS no animal control here. We're in rural county, not city, so we just have the Sheriff's, who are useless in this situation. I cant report for neglect, because at the moment, it's NOT neglected. It's being taken care of by ME! LOL! I actually asked the Sheriff about reporting it and he said, "'s not neglected...." UGH

    I could talk to the property owner again, but there's a lot of bad blood between them and my neighbor apparently, so i really dont see any good results coming out of that. They know the horse is in there, but i think it would take actually suing them to get them to move the horse.

    Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • Is it actually their horse or is it a wild horse? Or it is just not gentled? Either way tell him that if he does not remove the horse he will be billed for the feed and water, and don't just talk to him. Send a registered letter that he has to sign for so you have legal proof that you've warned him about this. Then send him a bill (also by registered mail) after the first month with a clear due date on it - then you can go after him for the cost of hay that his horse is eating.

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • It's their horse, it's just loco. You cant get within 15 feet of it, unless you are on the side she has a blind eye on. She's obviously never been handled or trained in any way. Pretty much useless.

    And i cant bill him for using property that's not mine, ya know?

    Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • I would call and request animal control to come pick up an abandoned animal if the mare were on your property. Since you are leasing someone else's property you are faced with either feeding the a@@hat's horse or deciding not to. Your best bet imo would be to feed and water your horses in your pasture and contact animal control or the humane society.

    One question ~ does the owner of the property know about/care that his other neighbor is making use of his pasture? If not, you need to tell him. If he is ok with it than you REALLY need to consider feeding/watering your own horses in your own pasture and than reporting the mare's owner.

    This would infuriate me because I love horses and would hate to see one hungry or doing without water. I'd be all over that owner with every legal means possible. The reason his mare broke the fence is because horses are herd animals and like company.

    Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • K...........i'll say this again..........WE HAVE NO ANIMAL CONTROL HERE. Just the Sheriff's, and they "can't" do anything.... Unless the horse is being neglected or is on the road or something.

    Yes the property owner knows. I just haven't pushed the issue, because i know it will blow up into a ginormous fight and i would really like to keep using the pasture without worrying about my horses.

    I think what i'm going to do is move my horses out for a few days, report her as neglected, then when she's hauled off i'll move mine back in. PAIN in the BUTT for me, but whatever....

    Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.