For moms who breastfeed...

I have a 6 month old little girl who I nurse full time but give little baby food/cereal on the side. There are some days that I dont give any baby food or cereal and for some reason I feel so bad, like Im not giving her enough to eat but she doesnt act more hungry on those days that she just nurses all day long. The only reason that we have gone 2 or 3 days without any solids is because I read that untill babys are a yr old that they can live off of there mothers milk only. She is at a healthy weight, she was at the 80th percentile at her 4 month check up which was when I was nursing with out any solids but now her weight gain has slowed down and shes just a little over the 50th. I guess she hasnt hit another growth spurt yet but is this ok for me to go some days without solids or will she think shes starving since I have already introduced them to her?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should offer her the food or cereal every day. Her little digestive track needs to get used to digesting more than just the breast milk. You could talk to your doctor about any concerns. Just make sure you feel her out for any food allergies. I breastfed for 19 months, but I always fed them on a regular basis with the food and cereals.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 3:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• At this age, it's more of a learning experience for her than anything else. She is still getting the majority of her nourishment and nutrients from your milk. I think you're doing just fine the way you're doing it right now.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 4:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have a breastfed daughter whose weight gain has slowed as your dd's has. A 30% drop is very significant and you need to make sure she doesn't drop any more. One of the ways to do that is to feed her solid meals consistently. The fact that her weight gain has slowed so much says that she needs more than her current diet of only breastmilk. (I am so going to get bashed for that, but trust me, the slow weight gain is something I have been deealing with for months)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I pumped for my daughter just because she had a hard time with the breast. It didn't help that she wasn't even 5 pounds when I had her. When I started giving her solid foods I didn't stop. I only gave her the rice cereal that you mix with either breast milk or formula for amount 2 months before I started giving her any type of baby food.
    OliviaW.

Answer by OliviaW. at 4:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Not worried about the weight gain at all to be honest because shes over the 50th and when she was at the 80th thats when I was breast feedng only and now that I do give her solids she is at the 50th so i just think that since she gained so much weight in the beggining that things are just starting to slow down now. Her doctors are not worried either and are very happy at how healthy she is expecially considering she was only 5lbs 15 oz when she was born. My question was just that if it was ok to go some days without any solids.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Many of us feel that 6 months old is *too young* to give solids to our children.
    * Some babies live off breastmilk (mostly) well past a year.

remember my daughter's second birthday, it was a taste of the cake that piqued her interest in eating.
    ;-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Dont fret about it at all. All she NEEDS is breastmilk. The solids are just so she can practice and you can start ruling out any allergies. There is no need to stress about making sure you offer them every day. You're just experimenting here. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have nursed all three of my babies and at the 6-9 month marks, I just kind of gave them food as practice more than anything else. I would make it healthy and it wasn't every meal, every day. Not until I planned on weaning did I increase their table food intake and make it more consistant. My oldest two are healthy and eat normally and I am assuming my third will be fine, too! As for your little ones slow down, she is growing in height as well and things may just be evening out. Personally, I don't put much into those charts because I know my children are happy, well fed and healthy! Good job to you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010