How would you handle this?

My DD (14) came home with permanent marker on her arm reading "I love butt sex-gay pride" and a drawing of a rainbow. She couldn't get it to wash off and has a college fair to attend tonight, so I had her write over it to say "I love bats and rainbows rock". She chose what to write I just told her to draw over it. Her teacher is going to be calling me on Monday because she did it in class. I figure she's just testing her boundaries, but we had a talk on appropriate behavior and people's expectations. I told her that if shse is gay I won't love her any less, but she needs to respect other peoples boundaries too. So, what would you do differently?

Jojo907

Asked by Jojo907 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you handled it the best you could
    kat12874

Answer by kat12874 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think you did the right thing momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• WOW!!! Be careful how u handle it. She is leaving herself wide open for bashing and hate crimes. Did u ask her why she did that? What did she say?? Please message me,I need details in order to help u.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You did a ok mom!

Answer by older at 3:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with what you did, but don't think that what she wrote was particularly offensive, not the worst thing she could write.

I would have probably just told her to wear a long sleeve shirt.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think you did good! I think I would keep trying to talk to hear. Keep telling her that you will love her no matter what, but she has to understand that some people could get offended.
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i think you handled it fine...im a bit of a firestarter myself, so i probably would have laughed and just told her to wear a long sleeved top to the event because you dont go to a professional event with ANYTHING written on your arm in marker...lol
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 4:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yeah I would of had her cover her arm to no matter was written you don't walk around with marker on ya
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 6:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Mr. Clean magic eraser will take it off her. Vinigar will take it off walls and windows so it may take it off or at least fade it. I would make her wear a long sleeve shirt.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 7:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Mr Clean Magic Eraser will take it off, then just wash her arm really good with soap and water. But, I think you handled it good, now just keep the lines of communication open.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010