What would you like your child or children to choose as a career?

Obviously, we have no control over what our children choose to do as far as a career goes, but in your ideal world, what would your child or children be when they grow up?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• anything they want to be as long as they are happy and feel succesful in what they are doing
    kat12874

Answer by kat12874 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I want them to have a reliable, honest job! It
    does not matter what career path they follow as long as it makes them happy!!!
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Something that plays to their strengths and provides economic security. 10 year old right now wants to be a pharmacist - he could pick worse!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Something that makes them millionaires so they can take care of me in my old age! LOL!

My husbands dream is to have rodeo stars or baseball stars, because that's what HE should have been. I really dont care, as long as they are proud of themselves and are successful.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 3:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with melissac9903. As long as it is respectful than go for it. My oldest wants to be a teacher and swim instructor which I think is awesome. The other three flip to a new career everytime I ask them. Lol. I will be happy if they grow up to be kind hearted and honest.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 3:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Whatever makes him happy.

I have always told my son that. I've always said "I don't care if you want to spend your life in a hut on a beach fishing. As long as you are able to support you and yours.. and you're happy"... That's all that matters to me. Is that he is happy, and that he can support himself and his family (if/when he chooses to have one)..

He's a student at MIT pursueing robotics engineering .. But hey, if he ever decides to go for the hut on the beach,. I'll be just as supportive as I am now.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Heiress

Answer by rkoloms at 3:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Whatever Makes them able to support themselves and be happy.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Children NEED to be guided. Not just go out into the world willy nilly. A child is capable of being anything so it is the Parents job to push and guide. Why do you think most Lawyers & Doctors have fathers, Mothers & children that are the same? A Parent just needs the monetary means to support the child & their schooling. My Son will be a Lawyer or a Doctor.

Even if he absolutely hates those careers and is miserable in both of them?

MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Children need guiding - yes but PUSHING them into a career that they hate - absolutely NOT.
    I have one child pursuing a degree in music married to his HS sweetheart who is pursuing a degree in Math Education.
    His twin is certified as a police officer and now that he's 21 - he's actively searching for a job in that area. Currently though - he's happy to work temp at the manufacturing plant where hubby is an engineering manager.

My daughter wants to be a forensic scientist (Think Abby from NCIS). And my youngest son has no concrete clue, but I'll support what ever career path he choses and as an 8th grader - he's got time.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2010