In a court setting how often can someone plead NoLo?

no·lo con·ten·de·re  [noh-loh kuhn-ten-duh-ree]
–noun Law .
(in a criminal case) a defendant's pleading that does not admit guilt but subjects him or her to punishment as though a guilty plea had been entered, the determination of guilt remaining open in other proceedings.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You can plea this as many times as you a charged with a crime, there is no limit, but it is like pleading guilty.

Answer by older at 6:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I don't see the point of it. If you didn't do it, why would you plead anything but not guilty? If you did do it, plead guilty and take the knock for it! I do know that anytime you are in front of a judge after that, they will see it a a guilty plea, so what is the point?
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Is that the same as no contest?
    okietutty

Answer by okietutty at 4:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's the same as no contest and it depends on the state, the county and the judge as to how many times one person can use it. Least that's what my MIL the court reporter says.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I used it once but it was the same as pleading guilty, except i got a deferred sentence instead of a suspended one.....young and stupid...
    okietutty

Answer by okietutty at 4:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with Mama! IMO (and I'm sure the Judge's) you ARE guilty, but the prosecution may or may not have sufficient evidence against you, so you plead that you are "partially responsible." In other words, you were at the scene of the incident, and you may or may not have had something to do with the events leading up to or following said incident, and the case could go either way, so you take a "little" responsibility and you hope the Judge sees it as you are cooperating.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• hmm idk
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I guess, I'm not sure. My friend and I are debating over it. We have heard different things.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• That's what I told her.... I figure either plead guilty and admit what you've done or be a punk about it and go nolo.... either way you're guilty. Thanks older for the answer. :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2010