I have a wart on my right thumb, yuck, its embarrassing and annoying. I have tried to freeze it, wouldn't go away, actually got worse. Now I am using the Compound bandaid, but its made the area white and gross looking. Is there an easier way to get rid of this thing????

redwoodhunny

Asked by redwoodhunny at 4:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• You can go to the doctor and have them remove it. Thats what my little sis had to do with the one on her knee.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• did it hurt much for your sis? was it easy to have done?
    redwoodhunny

Comment by redwoodhunny (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It was only like a 10 min appointment and she only had a band-aid over it for a few days. So not to bad. Although Im not sure how they do it. I think they freeze it the same way they removed a mole that I had...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I had one on my finger. I went to the doctor had it frozen it almost went away and then came back even worse.
    I put toothpaste on it, just rubbed it in. And honest to god it went away. I've given that advice to friends and it worked for them. For me it took a week of doing it at least once a day. A friend only took three days. ... not kidding and if you want it gone it's worth a try. It wont hurt anything, just make your finger smell minty.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We always use garlic. Cut a small thin piece of fresh garlic just so that it fits over your wart & cover it with a band-aid. Keep changing the band aid & use a fresh piece of garlic daily. You can do it all day, or just do it at night. TRUST ME, your wart will be gone. My DH totally didn't believed me. He tried it for 4 days & gave up saying it was a failure...that it would never work. A few days later, i noticed the wart was gone. I asked him where his wart went & he said "it just went away". Like it had nothing to do with the garlic....he was laughing about it because he knew it had to have been the garlic, but he wouldn't admit that i was right...LOL! It really works...

FYI, when your wart turns white, that means it's starting to die. Warts have a "root" system, so they take a while to die. You have to kill the wart & it's root...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• keep using the compund bandaid...its SUPPOSED to look that way. the stuff that the doc uses is the SAME chemical, just stronger. it works faster, but costs a lot more. occasionally, depending on the kind of wart, the doc will cut it out. he'll do it with just local anesthesia though and it will typically hurt like hell for a week or so as it heals....like i said, stick with the compound bandaids. just use them as directed and dont skip any "doses" because it will take forever to go away if you're not consistent with putting on a new one.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 4:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I am worried now about the Compound bandaid because now there is a circle around wart, so not just the wart is white, my other skin too. Will this go away? It looks really gross :-( I want to try garlic or toothpaste now... any kind of toothpaste???
    redwoodhunny

Comment by redwoodhunny (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You can put duct tape over it for about 2 weeks. That's what the doc has the guys do on my hubby's boat and it always works.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 4:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• The band aid chemicals kill good and bad skin that it comes into contact with so the circle around the wart is just where the chemical is touching. I personally cut the dead skin away and let it sit for a day or two and then start the band aid stuff again. It takes a while, but eventually you kill the root system and it is good. I did the garlic thing with DH's one time and it worked, but my plantars warts just were not going away after about a month of garlic so I started the medicine route and it took another month, but they were gone.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• warts are so gross! mine hurts too. I am going to try the toothpaste and see if it works, if not then back to the bandaid. Thank you all for the helpful advice. I have had this wart for far too long, now baby is nearly 9 months, I want to take care of myself again :-D
    redwoodhunny

Comment by redwoodhunny (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2010