Any ideas to help keep Christmas under control and not all about the gifts? Last year my family went together on sponsoring a family in need. Trying to teach the kids to help others that are less fortunate.

Emily412

Asked by Emily412 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• I think that was really great what you did. We dont have much this year, but I want my kids to know the true meaning of Christmas is not about presents.
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's funny, because even though money is tight. I want for my husband and I to have things under the tree also. The kids need to understand that it is not all for them and they should feel good about giving. I think we just have to stay grounded in a few traditions to keep the Christmas feel.
    Emily412

Comment by Emily412 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We do things together as a family. We have family game nights, family movie nights, we make crafts and decorations together, we make handmade gifts. When we have a little extra money, we pick names from the Angel Tree and give gifts to kids less fortunate. This year we don't have the money to do that, but we will give change to the salvation army guys when we go by them, and we will do little things where we can. And we always always go to the Candlelight service on Christmas Eve. My kids know that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, and that it is a time for giving more than receiving. We always go through thier rooms in early December and pick out good quality toys and books that they don't want anymore and we donate them or we advertise on freecycle and people are really appreciative to be able to get good quality items that they can give their children for christmas when they can't afford anything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• do the homemade gifts!
    bobo69

Answer by bobo69 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have the kids make home made ornaments for their friends. I don't usually spend a lot of money on extended family, we just buy some gift cards and send those. I was never a gift card person until I kept spending tons of time picking out just the right gift for people and not even hearing that they received their gifts. I don't know if they are appreciated or wanted so I figure they know what they want or need and a gift card will help them get it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We always started by having the kids clean out their toys and then donated them. We picked a needy family from the church, did the shoe boxes at church, picked 2 boys and 2 girls from the angel Tree and I am so proud that my children now do the same with their own families.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2010