Wondering if this bugs anyone else too ?

It annoys me alot when a person is DATING someone and refers to thier boyfriends family as their inlaws ... ( I guess that also goes along the line of calling their boyfriend their husband) .... For example my cousin has been dating a guy for a couple months and when she talks about him or his family she refers to them as her inlaws ( my mother in law, sister in law, etc) ... she only sees her boyfriend a couple times a week and has only seen his family a few times... she will even tell you she has no plans on marrying him....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Me personally..

Nope.. Doesn't bother me at all.

What terms/names someone else chooses to use in regards to those in their life is of no concern to me.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yeah that bugs me. It also bugs me when a person tells her kids that her boyfriends mom is their grandma, sis is aunt, and so on. My stepkids mom would do this. She moved to another state for a year and gave the kids 5 different "dads". Then when she moved backm the new boyfriends mom was grandma. When she broke up with him she told the kids "You can't go see Grandma Nessa anymore because she wants to hurt mommy and you. Might even kill us!" I felt sooooo bad for those kids! She has given them 3 "dads around here and a ton of extended family. Every time she breaks up with one she tells them they want to hurt them. :_(
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 4:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It depends upon how long they've been dating. I started referring to my in laws as my in laws before I married my husband, but it was after we had been together for a few years,and I definitely knew we would end up married at some point.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 4:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It depends on how long they have been dating, if they are living together, my friend and her boyfriend have been together for 15 years, have a 5 year old together and live together and yes she calls his family her in laws.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I probably wouldn't worry about it too much, but I might wonder why they were doing that if they had been dating for such a short amount of time. Now someone who's been dating for 10 years and lives together but just chooses not to get married, I wouldn't think anything of it at all. If fact, I considered a friend of mine my sister in law for the last 5 years, but she only legally became my SIL recently. I thought they had chosen not to get married and just dated for over 10 years, but they just surprised everyone by getting married on a vacation. I think he just didn't want to deal with a big wedding, but everyone considered her family since they had been dating a long time and lived together.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Well I think it is easier to refer to them that way so people know the connection of them to her.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• well I think its only ok if the've been dating years and are really involved in each other family
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 6:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2010