When can you introduce meats into baby's diet?

I recently started to give DD some veggies at dinner time. I'm using store-bought and notice that they have "chicken & broth", "beef & broth" baby food. When is it OK to start feeding meat to DD? She is 4½ months old.

HLSmom610

Asked by HLSmom610 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At this point just stick with the stage 1 baby foods, if there are any flavors with meat in them, it's ok
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• she's 4 1/2...wait a little longer. at that age they don't even need cereal. doctors even recommend after 6 months for cereal, they just say go ahead and give it to them at 4 months just to please parents and they don't have to hear it. actually, they don't even need cereal, as it's not really anything but to teach them how to eat. i started my dd on actual meats (she never had baby food) at about 9/10 months. 8 months is when she started table food, she had maybe 2 bowls of cereal before i came to my senses. but really, all they need is a bottle or breastmilk until they're 1. they don't need anything else.
    Anonymous

• Probably sometime between 7 and 10 months--that's what we did anyway. Our DS loved pureed fruits and veggies, but he did not like meat at all. It took a long time to get him to eat it, and we usually had to mix it with other stuff he liked. Hope you have better luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I personally will probably not even do the pureed meats because they look disgusting. I do fruits and veggies which I started at exactly 5 months because my LO was showing all the signs of a baby ready to start solids, we stay on the same fruit/veggie for 4 days to make sure there is no allergic reaction also and do one at a time. As far as meat, I probably will introduce real meats not pureed grossness LOL
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 5:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I read that it's ok to do it now (at 4.5 months). Personally, I'm NOT a fan of baby jar meats, they look and smell vile. But I think if it's stage 1 you can go for it
    begamom

Answer by begamom at 11:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2010