is there life insurance for downs syndrome children

would anyone know where a grandma can get life insurance for a downs syndrome child..i have been turned down by globe life because machayla has downs

jonyann

Asked by jonyann at 6:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Health

• Do not get life insurance for a child with down syndrome without talking to the parents first. Anything that children with down syndrome have such as life insurance or money for them can prevent them from getting medical assistance and ssi later on in life. It can actually work against them. I suggest that you talk to her parents and have them contact a lawyer to see what will work best. I hope this helps. My son has Down Syndrome and I have told all family and friends not to get him trusts or anything that might stop him from getting benefits.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 7:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Why do you want to buy life insurance on your grandchild? That is the parents responsibility, if they wish to have it.
    Anonymous

• I found it a little weird that a grandmother would want to do that as well anon. But I wanted to inform her first of the risks of her doing that. She can compromise the benefits that the child receives.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 9:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008