Standing up too soon?

My 16 week old DS is quite precocious. He gets fussy if he can't see what's going on. His little legs are also quite strong, and he can stand up (with support for balance) for several minutes. But I keep having people tell me that this isn't good for him, that he's too young to be standing up, that's he's too young to be sitting upright (which he likes to try to do too), and that it's bad for his spinal development. Personally, I figure if he's the one going for it, he's fine. But I'm curious as to what you've heard. Is there such a thing as sitting upright, or standing up too soon?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 5:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was the same exact way! She was standing (with obvious support) since she was like a month and walking around in her walker at 2 months. I heard all the development blah blah blah crap to. So one day I was fed up and called my pediatrician and when I told her she literally laughed out loud at that and said NO as long as your supporting them they will be FINE!
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 5:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• lol my kids did that to my nephew started walking at 8 mnths
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We were told the same thing and then later found out from our now wonderful ped. that this is not true. Thats standing too early will not harm them in any way and is actually good for there little legs to help strengthen them but I still would not reccomend tiring there legs out.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Never really heard of it...my pedi is always quite impressed when they can bear weight on their legs so young. I let my kids do it if that's what they want to do....
    begamom

Answer by begamom at 11:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• 100% not true. Its perfectly fine as long as the baby wants to stand and you let him sit when hes ready. I kid you not my baby could stand before he was 2 months old with me holding him for balance. I have a pic of him standing at 6 weeks old. Pm me if you wanna see pics. I also have pics of him standing just holding my fingers at 3 months and standing leaning against a wall at 3 mos. My pedi said its fine, let him do it. It wont hurt him.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Who are the people who are telling you this. I have never heard of this. If your baby wants to sit up let him. If he want to stand let him.

Answer by louise2 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My son was trying to walk, and my pediatrician said to do everything I could to keep him from standing because his legs were not strong enough to support his body. He told me when he would try standing, to get toys or blocks or something to gain his attention down on the floor. We did the best we could, but he still did it. He had to wear braces on his legs for almost two years to straighten them because his feet turned. This was my experience, but I would say it depends on the individual child, so ask your pediatrician and see what the opinion is.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I was told the ssame with my ds... he has very straight legs... I nver forced him to stand he would stand and sit at HIS wish pretty much and is fine.. never tiring him out just lots of up and down etc. b/c that what he wanted to do.
    DD on the other hand who did NOT do this may be knock-kneed
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• @ Carsonsmommytam - My DS has been standing a while. He can do it just holding fingers too! We must just have smart little guys!
    Reenieredhead

Comment by Reenieredhead (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010