single moms - do you wonder how well you're doing as a parent?

i'm a single mother to a boy and i often (more so of late) wonder if my son isn't missing out by not being around his father. he has male role models, but i feel like there are elements of growing up that he won't experience by not having a permanent fixture in his life as such - at least not up to this point (and none as such in the foreseeable future). wondering if others go through this as well...

Reni-Witch-Baby

Asked by Reni-Witch-Baby at 6:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• Of course, all the time. I too am a single mom of 12 yr old boy. His father is not around. It makes me very sad. I also don't have brothers and my Dad is not close by. I think about this a LOT. Our boys ARE missing out. There are just some things we cannot teach them about being a man. I don't regret him not being around his DAD, he is not the best role model anyway. But I do hope that someday maybe a good man can be the father figure he needs. I have a great SO now, but I'm not pushing him into this role, but my son does see that he treats ME well. In the meantime, we do the best we can with the kids, trying to play Mom and Dad. Hang in there.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 7:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i think it's harder for boys to not have their fathers there but when the father is selfish and cares only for themselves it's better that they rarely interact. i use to wonder how i was doing as a single mom but i look at my kids and i say i did a pretty good job. now that i'm remarried it's great cause the new step dad came into our lives when we all needed him the most. my kids are at the age where male role model is most important and i'm glad to get the help. the lord really blessed me and my boys with a great new father and a great new loving husband. in the end after all your endure what the kids make of their lives is how you know what a great parent you have been.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Iuse to but notmuch anymore I have ywo boys ages 11 and 12 and when I got with my SOthey were 2 and 3 yrs old their dadisnt and hasnt been in the picture until lately,and he has popped back out again,my SO has been their rolemodel for over 9 yrs so I think my being a single mom Im doing the best I can.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 10:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008