cough drops during pregnancy..?

i got bronchitis for the first time and i am 6 months pregnant... someone told me cough drops were bad. I went to the ER and was told it was okay.. so now tell me what you've heard? am paranoid. cough drops help me stop coughing so i take them

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 6:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Health

• cough drops are fine... so is sudefed(sp) after first trimester
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Totally fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I was told it is 100 percent fine! I avoided EVERYTHING during the first trimester, but you are way past that so it should be no problem! I was given a list of safe medications to take while pregnant and "cough drops" is exactly what is one of the things listed lol.. So I don't think brands would be an issue either :)
    Also, I just had my DD 7 weeks ago, so the list isn't out dated or anything :)
    Hope you feel better!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• From what I've read, you want to limit any that have licorice in them. I don't remember what the effects are from it, but I do know it says to limit that. Other than that, I'm pretty sure they're fine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• thanx so much guys!

and as i eat licorice lol... hmm i will have to check that out. I like the menthol kind the most as it ceases the coughing almost immediately.
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i took them with both of my pregnancies. My 1st doc told me it was ok so I didn't even ask the 2nd doc this time around.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010