If your Mother was at your wedding, did she help you?

Those of you who had their Mothers/Step-Mothers when they got married, did your Mom help you plan? Was she over bearing, or great help? Did any one's Mother show up late and leave early? My Mom helped me, by taking me dress shopping and she and my aunt decorated the whole place. She helped me get dressed on my wedding day, too. Every other wedding I've ever been to in my life, the Mom was a constant presence. Some times, yes, over bearing, but well meaning at the very least, and very helpful. My SIL got married last night at 6:30pm. Her Mom showed up after 5pm and didn't help her daughter dress, didn't pose for pictures with her daughter before the wedding, and didn't help her daughter AT ALL in the planning. SIL was upset telling me she didn't understand why her Mom wasn't excited and helping her. She asked several times I know of. So I'm just curious if other Moms helped at all....

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My Mother was very traditional in her role - she helped me get dressed, she helped plan, she was the consummate hostess greeting everyone. She was there with me until the end.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My mom was at my wedding but no she didn't help. She was in pic but other then that reg guest
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 6:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My mom barely helped. When dh and I got engaged I was so excited, and she just rolled her eyes. She did take me dress shopping, but made me lie to my dad about who bought the dress...still to this day he has no idea that she bought my dress for me. Other than that, she did nothing. Then at the wedding, my dad had the nerve to get mad at me for not thanking my mom for all the help and I flipped. I said "I have been planning this wedding for a year and eight months, and she couldn't even be bothered to hold her grand daughters while I got dressed" I was so mad. The only thing she really did for me, other than the dress was watch my twins for me while dh and I went out after the wedding (we didn't have a reception, very small beach wedding)...but wouldn't keep them over night, and gave us a curfew. It makes me sad to see other moms helping their daughters because i didn't get that, and I wish I had.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• MY husband and I paid for everything but the cake and the dress. My Mom bought our cake $125 30 yrs ago. My Mom also bought all the patterns, materials and things to make my dress total for materials $64.38..LOL..again 30 years ago. We had only a cake and punch recption. We didn't have the money or the time to do anything else. There wasn't much for my Mom to help with. After we left My family cleaned up and returned rentals for us and took gifts to my Moms house. Our honeymoon was driving to our next duty station.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My mom was a GREAT help! She was very much "this is your wedding, we'll do what you want." She went with me to pick out the ceremony/reception place, pick the food, my dress, flowers, DJ, bridal fairs...pretty much everything! She gave some minor opinions, but they usually went with whatever I was thinking. My parents paid for my wedding.

The day of the wedding...she actually didn't help me get dressed, my bridesmaids did while she was getting dressed herself...but she was there for everything else. My dad was more of the person to deal with any mishaps, i.e. our wedding was on the military base and we had the list at both gates with everyone's names and the night of the rehearsal they were giving my fiance (doesn't have mil ID) trouble and not letting him on, and the day of the wedding they were giving the DJ (whose done MANY weddings at the Club there) trouble as well, and my dad was the one to handle that kind of stuff.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 7:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I just felt really bad for my SIL because her Mom didn't have ANY part of the wedding besides showing up. I thought MAYBE since she wouldn't help with the planning, that she might help her daughter on the day of the wedding, but she didn't. It seems like a very important day for a Mom to be a part of.
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010