i'm catholic and my boyfriend doesn't believe in god..

my boyfriend doesn't believe in god and he did tell me this awhile ago and i've been trying not to let it bother me. But i grew up catholic and knowing that jesus and god are the reasons we are here...and he says that uf there was a god then little children wouldn't be getting merdered or raped...but everything can't be explained...ya know..i mean me having 2 kids that aren't his...makes me blieve theres a god because someone is watching out for me and my kiddo's what to do...just ket it not bother me?

young_mom1988

Asked by young_mom1988 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not sure what to tell you because all relationships are different but I am in a simalar situation-if reversed. I am Agnostic(there might be a higher power, might not) and he is Christian. We have been together for 6 years and are doing great. I cant say that it would be the same if I were Athiest(No chance of a GOD at all). We are about to have our 3rd child and have talked about how to raise them and came to a sort of agreement. He can take them to church and let them learn christianity but if they ask questions about it I can educate them on other peoples beliefs as well. Its all about learning and believing what is in your heart and what you feel. If my kids want to believe so be it...if not that is fine too.
    NinnaRenae

Answer by NinnaRenae at 3:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• It to me sound like it's important to you that you have someone that shares your beliefs or at least accepts them to some degree. You can't change him... but you can move on....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Well there is a verse in the bible about not being unequally "yolked", which it sounds like you are.

You obviously believe in God and have a religious background. He does not. If he is showing no signs of every believing, then in time he may only bring your faith down.. And his non belief could affect the raising of your children...send a mixed message. I would say that it is time to move on.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 9:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• what are you trying to do? if you want to teach him or change his mind, stay around and be the best you can be. if not, still be the best you can be. go to church regularly. i don't beleive being with him will send your kids the wrong message. i beleive it will show them that people have many different beleifs and it doesn't make a jew a bad person because their religion is different from an atheist or a baptist. it will teach them tolerance and respect, imo. plus, doesn't the bible say something about ministering to the non-beleivers? its a personal decision but if you are happy in the relationship otherwise, do you really want to walk?
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Stay close to God and continue to practice your faith. Don't let your boyfriend interfere in your relationship with God. Pray for him.
    singingmom2boys

Answer by singingmom2boys at 10:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Even though it can be important to have similar beliefs in a higher power I think that its something people can look past. There are many relationships where beliefs are extremely different. Its something that you yourself have to look past and accept. As long as he accepts your views and you can accept his without forcing each others beliefs on one another thats all that really matters. Not everyone was raised with set beliefs. I wasn't and I accept everyones opinion on religion or their belief system and many times people accept mine. Good luck hun!
    Babs310

Answer by Babs310 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You can't change his beliefs so you either have to accept it or move on. God gave us free will and unfortunately sometimes bad things happen to good people, it doesn't mean that there isn't a God.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I think sometimes we worry too much about what others, even clode friends and loved ones, believe. The real question is, is he good for you and your kids? Is he loving and respectful? Is he kind? Does he treat you well? Does he respect your beliefs? These are the things that matter, not whether he personally believes in God or not.
    Gemaecca

Answer by Gemaecca at 1:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Is this just a boyfriend for the fun times, or is he a potential mate? Do you think you can live with someone who doesn't share your faith at all, I mean if he does not believe in God's existence.....I personally would walk away. If faith is the foundation of your life how can you make a life with someone who doesn't understand it?
    DaynaD

Answer by DaynaD at 2:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2008