Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

102.5 fever in 2yr old

My son has been running a fever the last couple weeks off and on. The first weekend it was as high as 104.7. We went to the doctor and then a rash developed. Never figured it out. After 48 hours that fever broke and went away. The next weekend (last weekend) he got another fever and it was up to 103.5. After 24 hours it broke and went away. Yesterday the fever came back and is at 102.5. Should we call the doctor today to see what they say or wait til tomorrow? Or should we bring him to urgent care or the ER today?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (7)
  • GO to the doctor as soon as you can again. tel lthem the history of thi smysterious fever. NOW cut out and read labels ALL MSG or monosodium glutamate (found in salad dressings, gravies, soups, chicken nuggets and fish sticks, and some chips). USE Motrin nwo that he is two -- tylenol doesnt work well past two and motrin/ibuprofen is safe now. ALSO next time fever rears its head and its HIGH--run a lukewarm shallow bath, lay child in it, and slosh the water over hi for like five minutes, even if he cries complains and thinks its uncomfortabel or scary. then wrap him loosely in a towel, lay him down, put now a COLD washcloth on his forehead, and let him rest (music or tv on LOW). talk to him. THIS will break that fever -- i have done this with success on TWO of my infants several or enough times AND i am a nurses daughter and mom did that with me and sis. ALSO GET PEDIALYTE the fever is probably coming back cause he's dehydrated
    silverelf

    Answer by silverelf at 6:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • just my opinion. you can do what you think is best. i'd just give fever reducer and call the doctor in the am. Er's are always overloaded bc rush off to them at anything. if he doesnt seem in danger i'd just wait. but like i said thats only my opinion. my husband worked at a hospital (works ata surgery center now). anywayz he reassures me that the kids arent always in that much danger to rush off so fast. keep us updated!! might be a viral infection
    jbond83

    Answer by jbond83 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • Are you doing something different, going somewhere different, eating something different on the weekends? There seems to be a weekend pattern going on.
    tootoobusy

    Answer by tootoobusy at 6:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • I would call your PCP today. The only reason to not take him to ER would be you wouldn't want him to pick anything else up.
    Momto2beauties

    Answer by Momto2beauties at 6:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • if it were my kids, no I would not take them to the er. a fever is not an emergency, they really won't do anything for you anyway, and you will risk he picking up another infection. call you doc in the morning, but it could just be that it is fall, and that he keeps getting a new bug. at two, he still does not have a very active or strong immune system. Is he in daycare?
    daughteroftruth

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

  • Call the doctor in the morning.
    PhilsBabyMama

    Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 7:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • Call the dr. If they don't answer head to the ER/Urgent care.
    ethans_momma06

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.