Dogs

We just lost our Golden Retriever a few months ago. We are now thinking of getting another dog. We are trying to find the best dog breed for us. We loved our Golden and it would hurt too much to get the same breed again. What is the best family large breed dog? These are a few qualities we are looking for...
Little or no shedding, great with infants/children, and good protector.

Ibulili

Asked by Ibulili at 6:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pets

• i love my black lab, she is so good with my 3 year old. she does shed, not too much tho. but as far as protector mine is no good, she wants lovin from anyone and everyone.
    good luck and sorry for your loss
    katiliffe1982

Answer by katiliffe1982 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Rottweilers are actually really good dogs, if you don't want another lab. We had one when I was growing up. Just make sure to take it to obedience school. They don't realize how big they are!! But they're great with kids, and good protectors, and the short hair will keep the fur at bay. German shepherds and good, too, but they have longer hair, generally.
    I'm sorry to hear you lost your pet. That's so hard. I can see why getting the same breed would be tough.
    Would a lab be too close for you? That's another option, and you can even get a chocolate or black lab so the color isn't the same, and they have shorter hair than a retriever.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Not sure, but can I suggest a shelter dog?! I adopted a one-eyed Cockerspaniel three years ago and he's absolutely fantastic! Was fully trained and is a great watch dog! You can check them out on petfinder.com.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• we have a standard poodle that everyone i mean everyone loves and i swear by them that they are wonderful smart loyal etc etc dog. a no brainer for me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• boxer.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I am sorry about your loss of your Golden (RIP Little Dog). :(
    We have two Golden retrievers one is like a blondish color. (female) she is 8 yrs. old and our male dog is 5 yrs. old and he is a reddish color. I love them both so much I hate the day that comes when it's time for them to go to heaven.
    I don't believe I'd want to go through that pain again but if I was to change my mind I would get another dog it would have to be a Frise Bichon.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think a Boxer or a Standard Poodle would be the best choice for a family.Go to www.akc.org and look up dog breeds and read up on the different breeds.The 2 I mentioned are my personal choices.We have had 2 boxers and they were both wonderful with the kids.The poodles have many qualities that alot of people lik in a large dog.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm so sorry for loss. I can't even imagine how hard it must be.
    I have two labs and they are fantastic with children. Absolute sweet hearts, useless protectors though. You mentioned large dogs and believe it or not Great Danes are GREAT with kids. my aunt has three of them and they are so good with my two year old. He loves them! And they have never once knocked him over or been to rough. I'm not sure how good protection they make, but they are intimidating in size.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 10:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• So very sorry for your loss. We also lost our Golden in May and we adopted a black lab from the shelter. He is 4 and very well behaved. Consider checking out your local shelter~~they have some great dogs.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i have a puggle and she gets along with any dog, kids, people. most friendly lil dogs you can meet.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 11:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010