Am i wrong for not talking to my father?

He has a drug problem and i was phisically abuse buy him in high school i got over it but he calls everyday wanting people to feel sorry for him talking about commiting suicide he's broke ( gets a check every month but cracks it up) or he has nowhere to lay his head at night blah blah blah. I decided not to have any contact with him anymore so do that make me a bad person. I feel like How can you help someone who wont help therselves

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 6:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree with everyone else, you have to do what is best for you and your family. I cut my "father" off 13 years ago. There were a couple attempts at reconciliation, but I was reminded that he has not changed and will never change in his attitude towards me.

My brothers question me all the time, but I have also drawn that line. I am sorry, that sucks. But you only need positive people in your life
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No, I'm with you. Sounds like someone who would just suck the energy right out of you. Plus, I assume you're a mom since you're on this site, and you don't want your kids exposed to him and the stuff he's involved in.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Absolutely not. I cut my father off 11 years ago. I just couldn't take it anymore. The best thing that happened was the weight I felt lifted after I did. Screen calls, block him..refuse to be dragged down.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I live with it since high school if i can help im not going to let my kids go through what i went through
    nicjon

Comment by nicjon (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No you aren't wrong for it. I just hope you don't regret that someday, like what if he died tomorrow? Would you feel bad that you weren't speaking to him? I would probably do the same thing if I were you but that sucks...good luck.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• No, I had to severe communication with my "father" as well...... I affectionately refer to him as SD (sperm donor), because he's not really a father...

It's a healthy boundary you have drawn, and I commend you. Most people simply can't understand why and will probably question you about it - just be prepared for that. Not that they want to hurt you, they just can't understand unless they have been there. GL hun...
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 7:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My father was a drunk, You what the hardest thing is. When their gone, You seem then to only worry about what you did, Not what they did. Are you a bad person no , Just know when he's gone thats it.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010