11 month old picky eater, could be signs of autism?

first, i am not trying to disrespect autism in any way, i have a cousin that is on the spectrum. i would ask his mom about this but i'm afraid she'll be hurt by it.
i gave my son annies brand organic spaghettios, they are o shaped and also have little bunny looking shapes. my son would only eat the o's, would touch the other shapes. we tried squishing them and tried to feed it to him and he freaked out.
our friend that is over said it is a sign of autism. my son has had no vax.. whether that is a connection or not is not the topic. i'm really paranoid about autism. if he is autistic i just want to find out asap to try to work with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was this the first time he has had the Spaghetti O's? Have you seen any other signs?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have heard that it can be, but MANY kids are picky eaters. My 2 yr old son is pretty picky, and I suspect it's a normal phase right now. I would think 11 months would be too soon to tell, but that's just a guess.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My oldest daughter was picky about food too. She wouldn't eat the heads off of a gummy bear for some reason. She's not autistic either, just a weird kid =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Doubtful.
    My son's autism was showing signs at 3 months old,so don't discount signs because you think its too early.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think that you are reading way too much into it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• TONS of kids are even more picky than that, and they don't have autism. Yes, you're paranoid about autism, but don't spend your life thinking every challenge is because your child has autism. Just chalk this up to being a phase, which will pass.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• uhhhh. NO. If there was any connection between autism and picky eaters, then all three of my kids and all of my grandchildren would be autistic. I wouldn't worry.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• oh.and please have your Pediatrician vaccinate your children.....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• If this is the ONLY thing that has you concerned, then relax. Babies/toddlers are P-I-C-K-Y!!! Is there anything else going on that concerns you?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010