cabin fever

my dd is 9 days old and so far the only time ive taken her outside is to the doctor(shes had to go there like 3 times to check her weight) and next week is her first real checkup. some ppl have told me that u shouldnt take a newborn out for 6 weeks so they dont get sick,some say 4 some say its fine whenever. i really dont want her to get sick which is why we havent went anywhere,but sending my dh to the store all the time is getting old.

how long did u wait b4 going out with ur baby? was it during cooler whether?(if it was warm i wouldnt be as paranoid)

doosti

Asked by doosti at 7:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was born in august, but on one rainy day 4 or 5 days after she came home from the hospital we decided we couldn't stay inside any longer. we went to the library and a lady there told me she couldn't believe i would take a baby out on a day like that. it wasn't a downpour or anything just sprinkling on and off all day. do what feels right to u. no matter what u do u will have someone telling u or thinking that ur doing the wrong thing.
    beward79

Answer by beward79 at 7:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i took my daughter out about 5 weeks old.. only bc it was my 1st and i was scared but my sisters took their kids out a couple of days after and they r fine
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• We took my baby to my office to show him off 2 days after he came home! I wouldn't let anybody touch him though lol. We asked the nurse and she said it's fine to take him out as long as it's not in crowded places and he's dressed appropriately. It was August though. It's still in the 90's here now but if it were during cold weather I don't know if I'd have taken him. To the store or somewhere is fine though! You don't need to be stuck in the house...baby will probably sleep wherever you go anyway!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I waited a month 2 take my son out. It was pretty cold out when we took him out but we kept him snuggley. If u feel like u dont want 2 take the chance of her getting sick keep her in for another 2 weeks. Even if you decide 2 take her out im sure she'll be fine.
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Could your husband stay home with the baby while you went out for a little while, even an hour? To answer your question, since flu season is coming up, you may want to avoid places where the baby would be exposed to other people. How about a stroll outside?

Answer by Bmat at 8:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The baby is outside the moment they are born. If you can go outside the house, then so can they. Put the baby in the sling and just walk out the door :) Even for just a 20 minute walk, you will definitely feel much better.
    evilday

Answer by evilday at 8:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Get one of those covers that goes all the way over your car seat... they usually have a little peep-hole for the baby's face. I had one with my son, and I felt free to travel as I needed to. If someone is sneezing or coughing, or if you enter an area with cigarette smoke, you can always close the little face cover. :-)
    Anonymous