I dont understand this nursing thing.

I want to nurse my baby girl for atleast 3 month and the doc says wake her up every 2 to 3 hours to feed so I tried that and she would only wake up for half the feedings. Than I did the feeding on demand an she has only eating 3 times today an she doesnt seem to be satisfied. Any advice for me??

JessieW22

Asked by JessieW22 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Contact a lactation consultant. You might want to also wonder about jaundice since that can make babies too tired to eat.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 8:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• How old is your baby? I would feed on demand during the day and depending on the age, try and wake them up if it's been more than 4 hours. At night, I usually let them sleep until they are ready to wake up - again depending on age and if there were any weight/medical concerns. When my son was first born, I tried everything to wake him up to eat. I had to unwrap his blanket and take his clothes off before he would wake up. Even during feeding, he would fall back asleep. I think I used the football hold for the first few days as that was they only way to keep him awake for more than 5 minutes at a time. I think it took a good week before he was waking up every 2-3 hours to eat. He is 10 weeks now and is sleeping 6-8 hours at night and going as much as 3-4 hours during the day without eating.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 8:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I never woke my babies up at night. If they are asleep, let them sleep. If she isn't satisfied during the day, then let her keep nursing. If she is still very young your body (and she) still needs to regulate how much milk to make. Her nursing, even if she isn't getting anything, will help your body produce the right amount of milk. Let her latch on as often as she wants! Keep it up. It is well worth it!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Nurse on demand, and count diapers. If your baby is a week old or older, and you are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period, baby is getting enough. If she doesn't seem satisfied, then that is "demand" to nurse more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• If she doesnt seem satisfied, then keep nursing. It's okay. Nursing on demand means as often, and for as long as baby wants. Pay no attentiong to "every two hours" or "for 10 minutes per side" etc. No need to time anything. As long as you are getting 6 or more wet/dirty diapers per day you are doing just fine.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• The best thing you can do to get baby nursing well is to spend a couple of days in bed with her. Take off your shirt and strip her down to her diaper and lay her on your chest. When she starts to move her head around she is looking for the breast, even if her eyes are closed. Encourage her to nurse frequently. If she just finished nursing and does not seem satisfied then nurse her some more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I nursed on demand BUT if they went 4 hours without eating I'd wake them up.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2010