I'm in the process of looking for a job. I have an interview for a position that has 100% travel (m-f) and I have two small children. Has anyone ever travelled when they had small children? Any advise?

demika

Asked by demika at 7:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• Do you have to travel with the kids or can you travel without. I will tell you traveling with kids especially really young, is very very hard. I hated when we had to fly or drive to see our family's in Ca. from Co. , it is stressful and I didn't like it at all.
    LisaMommy

Answer by LisaMommy at 8:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• You will need a 24/7 hour nanny, housesitter/keeper. It will cost a bundle so make sure you work it into the overall financial picture. Also, count the cost of unpacking and packing and still being able to care for and have quality time with your children. You will be virtually unavailable emotionally if you are exhausted from travel and heading off again. That being said,

I advise you not to take that type of job while your children are young. If you must, do it with the intention of quiting as soon as something comes up and keep looking. You will be missing your child's life and handing their upbringing over to someone else. They will not know you very well except as a weekend mommy. It's hard to pass up career opportunities but it can be done and the experience of the mommy track is priceless!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Have you even thought of a home based business. Although it could take a while to make a large amount of income, it is well worth it after all your work, even at tax time.
    Let me know , I might be able to help you.
    Lisa
    LisaMommy

Answer by LisaMommy at 8:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• They really aren't young for very long. If you can possibly do something else, it would be worth it to you to raise your own children. Good luck with this.

Answer by Bmat at 8:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am definetly with the 3 other post above mine. No need to repeat it. Consider a home business where you can have it all, a SAHM, money, time and financial freedom. Visit my profile page if you are interested.

Good luck
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008