What is your definition of the word "cult"?

I have always thought of a cult as a bad thing or group following that is unhealthy with brain washing or something along those lines. But it seems to now mean any following of anything.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The original word comes from the word sub-culture.........what it means today is something different.......It is a group that requires strict obedience to a leader, and the followers are discouraged from thinking for themselves and are basically brainwashed to become dependant on the group.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Actually it is any religious organization by the dictionary definition. However I feel a cult is a group that do EVERYTHING the same way. Which is why I also said the JW were NOT a cult!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Every denomination of every religion was at one point a cult. It's just a word that denotes a size of a group sharing a belief system. The ones that grow larger than a cult eventually become other things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• People who are brainwashed is my simplest definition.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• ANY religion, but especially those who seek to control your mind, your life, your money and your body. And who take all of these things away from you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• To me, a cult is any group (doesn't have to be religious), that requires you to hand over all possesions/a=money/you life to one enigmatic leader who makes all the "rules." These groups also usually eventually require that you leave behind your family and friends and "stay with the family."
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My definition of a "Cult" is as follows~ People who are doing something largely irrational for little or no reason at all.. EX Hail bob commet people who killed themselves for the sake of catching a meteor...

However there is also many who are followers of a cult who beleive something which is not HISTORICALLY ACCURATE...
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• there are different kinds of cults, and yes most are religious but not all religions are cults.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I love when I get downvoted for stating a basic fact. If only they'd put that change in to let us go back and see who all the downvotes are from soon.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My defination is its a group of people who believe the same things and follow the same leader and revolve their lives around said leader and beliefs. Sometimes to the point of brainwashed appearance or flat out stupidity.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2010