is there anything i can give my 9 month old for a runny nose and cough or to help him feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, there isn't anything safe for babies/kids until about age 2 or so. All you can really do is comfort and love on him as much as possible. I would try running a humidifier in his room and then just use plain saline in his nose for congestion and just suck it out when you can. I hope he feels better soon!
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 8:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Not unless he has a fever. I know it is awful to see them struggle and not feel well. Let his body fight it off. His immune system will be stronger for it! My firstborn was SO sick for months when he was firstborn. As a newborn they won't allow your child to have any medicine unless hospitalized. Watching that tiny body fight off the infection helped me realize that their bodies could fight off stuff when they were older too. Hang in there and keep him as comfortable as you can! Sometimes when the congestion was really bad I had them sleep in their car seat so they weren't laying flat.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• try sitting in a hot steam shower it will help clear his nose. good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I'm going through this right now with my 8 month old.... There really isn't anything medicinally that you can give them, although we've been doing Tylenol or Motrin because it seems like she has a headache.
    Otherwise just hot steamy showers, humidifier in his room, saline and suction (for his nose), and elevating one end of his crib mattress (put a pillow or comforter under one end of the mattress)... Vicks Baby Rub helps a lot too!
    AllNaturalMum

Answer by AllNaturalMum at 9:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I would run a vaporizer & rub baby vicks on his chest, not really any med you can use tho
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2010